Bad Obsession Motorsport - Binky

Micrashed

28 minutes ago, cort16 said:

It's getting a bit silly fabricating an alloy washer bottle when the could have got a plastic one which fitted and weighed considerably less.

I agree, was great to see being built, but why not put the pumps and bottle in the rear somewhere.

I assume the second pump was for rear wash wipe, so in effect they have already run pipework through the car.

5 hours ago, GrumpyCat said:

With nearly three thousand patreons, YouTube and merchandise income, I'm sure they are in no rush to finish it. ?

There was a time you could see the value of their patreon contributions and I’m sure it was about $8000 an episode .

I commented on their twitter feed about the weight and said I think it will tip the scales at nearly 1600kg - they were not impressed! But the amount of metal fabrication where lighter materials could be used, I dont think it will be far off the one and a half tonne mark for a classic mini body shell, taking into account the drivetrain, wheels and number of brackets. I also think its going to be very nose heavy too.

Im still enjoying it though.

I know the YouTube and Patreon income will be driving them to maybe spin it out for a few more episodes, but then again the Escargot hopefully shows that they can just start a new project and keep the money flowing. And yeah, I'm kind of more in it for the quite relaxing montages of bending and welding sheet metal rather than any hope of seeing this completed right now! The electrics were interesting though, I did enjoy their MG ZS Nervous System they laid out on the floor.

im still enjoying it very much :)

they have plenty of other projects lined up or on going to keep themselves going for few hundred years after project binky is finished in 50 years time :) so I highly doubt there stretching episodes out just for the sake youtube moneys

(theres the Escargo, the Pissed off Rover 75 thing and the rally car)

• 2 months later...
40 minutes ago, jakebullet said:

I'm struggling to understand why they spent a billion* hours on a bonnet release system, and didn't just bosh in a central locking motor?

Or why they bothered with the whole square custom air duct channel when if they'd just cut the hole round, they could have used a hose.

Or why they bothered with a strut brace when the whole car pretty much has its own weight again in extra metal welded into it via strengthening, custom parts, brackets and the engine itself....

The attention to detail is insane... probably the name "bad obsession" gives it away. I love watching them, but their over complicating of everything, as brilliant as it is, would be maddening to work alongside ?

Wonder what Binky will weigh when all is said and done. Can't help but feel as impressive a project as it is, they've overcomplicated and bloated the thing so much it might not perform as expected.

7 hours ago, Andyrew said:

I thought that at first. But then I tried to think of any car that has an electrical bonnet release mechanism. 

Is there a rule that states that a bonnet latch assembly has to be mechanical Only?

Fantastic episode. I love the attention to detail in the finishing touches. 

I once knew a lad who fitted one to a Manta, then wired it to work with the key-fob so he could pop the bonnet remotely. 

11 hours ago, Andyrew said:

I thought that at first. But then I tried to think of any car that has an electrical bonnet release mechanism. 

I think the deal with that is if your car say dies completely for some reason

you dont want to be locked out of your engine bay!

so I imagine that's why they went for a mechanical setup

I think some of the Porsche 986s had both boot and engine compartment as electric and to open when the battery was flat you pulled a fuse inside the car and jumped it via the fuse box and door catch for negative. Remember my neighbour the AA man saying it was an actual technical bulletin from Porsche for recovery.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

IIRC from reading the regs

a lot of things are "exempt" from having to Q plate/IVS if the upgrades are done in the name of safety/emissions

which could be argued very well in both the case of both projects

edit: although on more googling I seem to be thinking of the historic tax class 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/historic-classic-vehicles-mot-exemption-criteria/historic-classic-vehicles-mot-exemption-criteria

?

That is possibly taking the argument of transplanting a whole drivetrain then custom making many new parts (and brackets) to the extreme.

I mean with Binky really there isnt even a lot of the original shell left on that car, let alone any other bits of the original mini.

Escargot isnt quite so bad ( yet) as the original chassis and body remain - just the donkey and axles changed so far.

this IS the DVLA we are talking about here

and as I clearly demonstrated many times in my thread

On 3/6/2019 at 7:07 PM, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

With the DVLA imagine a mixture of the Benny hill song, DellBoy, and ChuckleBrothers, and you are getting close. 

is sadly quite accurate

so who the hell knows what should or is going to happen LOL