Ford Cougars

25v6turbo

I was following one of these today and it hit me what a stunning looking car this is,i know the sum of sod all about them but the look cracking and very stylish(well i think so!)there seems to be plenty about for sale.

I like this onehttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-Y-FORD-COUGAR-2-5-V6-24v-X-PACK-SUPERB-CONDITION-THROUGHOUT-/141415890436?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item20ed0b3e04

O.K most are silver but this does look like a clean example,but are they crap???/

Shexy

Attractively priced

Big boot

Seats five

Whats not to like? Is the 2.0 version a less fast varient or is it less reliable too?

Edit: road tax perhaps....

6 Month rate £156.75 12 Month rate £285.00

My last was a v6. Quick enough without feeling "fast"

Mpg not that bad either

Plenty out there with all the toys Inc climate control etc

Priced alongside BMW 3 series when new so didn't get the sales it deserved really

Engines are the usual ford product.reliable with too many dramas

Cars are old enough to start rotting now . rear of the sills and rear subframe 's are the prime spots.

Anti roll bar links usually have a hard time and start knocking

Front suspension is shared with the mondeo st and therefore wishbones are expensive to find once the start knocking.Genuine parts only.....

Biggest killer of the v6 is the abs block.it also houses the traction control and is nla from Ford

They are a cracking car tho.

Spend the time to get 1 that's been looked after and it shouldn't be any more of a drag than a mondy

Owners club is your typical clichey group of fanatics who scream and stamp feet if you dare oppose The Wat Of Doing Things........

I suppose it will be one that will attract the OSF tax in another 5 to 10 years.

If you can afford a nice one and keep it maintained it probably wont lose any value.

I think I would probably be more inclined towards the 2.0 Zetec rather than the V6, but thats just me.

I put this in the ebay tat thread 2 days ago

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:05 PM

1999 ford cougar 2.5 v6 24v part service history tax till next month the 18 tax till end of november part service history cracking car leather seats 6 cd changer very clean car for its age only 70k on the clock offers or swaps thanks.

£500

1610789_10202607562772170_82010440489486
547421_10202607563012176_637338479900285
10349954_10202607563212181_5278066552665
10639594_10202607563372185_5472868614769
10557225_10202607563532189_7189310478139

Tippex number plates

I've had two and must say the Cougar is a real bargain of a car.

The main points to look for are front wishbones and make sure the secondary's open up above 3500 rpm.

I found that 30mpg is achievable quite easily and both were 2.5 V6 manuals also it's quite weird as the cougar just doesn't rot like most of the Ford new edge design stuff and just seems it's screwed together better than the average Ford.

Also the leather in the Cougar is really good quality not like most leather which is found in cars of that era.

The only downer with the Cougar is image as I think it all went downhill for the Cougar after William Hague bought one.

I believe* that in the states this was badged Mercury, and was meant to 'evoke' the spirit of the original Mercury Cougar muscle car.

I think it lost a lot in translation, I agree that as a more well known European name like Capri would have helped no end here in Blighty.

Would.

The leather seats are made by Lear - as in the those who make Lear jets. They're comfy but very strange.

I had a 2.5 V6 X facelift earlier this year. Tidy car, straight, drove well.

When I bought my Focus to replace the Cougar it was nigh on impossible to sell the Cougar. It's the only time I've ever known scrap yards refuse a fully working taxed and tested car. They just didn't want it. Eventually one place offered £175 for it and a friend decided to stop it getting weighed in by offering £200. He likes it and has done 7000 trouble tree miles in it since March. It has averaged 31 mpg because his daily commute is 22 miles each way - 17 of which are on the motorway.

I liked it but it couldn't stay as I had bad memories associated with it (which weren't anything to do with the car itself). It handled rather well was remarkably quiet and comfy. Decent stereo and powerful air con.

MX6 doesn't have anything mechanical in common with the Cougar at all. Nothing.

The Probe was an MX6, Cougar is basically a Mondeo Coupé. Engine is not related to the MX6 one, but it is related to the Aston Martin V12 and Jag V6 (although the Jaaag engine has a thicker engine casting, different heads, injection system and VVC).

The Cougar V6 was used in one of the Mazda SUVs in the US. That thing Dexter drove was one I think.

I don't really like them either, it's a bit too American overall, but they're probably decent enough.

Wasn't this meant to the Probe mk3?

Yes, it was.

Ford killed the barge-like rear-drive Thunderbird and its Mercury Cougar sibling in 1997.  Ford then announced it was going to launch a retro-styled two-seat Thunderbird inspired by the 1955-57 original.  Lincoln-Mercury dealers felt they were getting short shrift and complained loudly to the mothership in Dearborn.  So, at the last minute, Ford decided to throw them a bone and re-brand the soon-to-be-released Probe Mk III as a Mercury Cougar.

Despite some generally positive reviews, Cougar traditionalists balked at a front-drive Toyota Celica clone wearing their precious cat badge and shunned the car, leading to it's early demise.

Shexy

Attractively priced

Big boot

Seats five

Whats not to like? Is the 2.0 version a less fast varient or is it less reliable too?

Edit: road tax perhaps....

6 Month rate £156.75 12 Month rate £285.00

Seats four I'm afraid - two bucket seats in the back, with a cupholder between them.

Think of it as like a junior XJ-S; not really a sports car, but quick and smooth.

I've had one for years, and plan to never sell it. In no way a good car really, by all sensible points of measurement, but it all hangs together quite well somehow.

On paper, a bit of a parts bin lash-up. In practice, quite good.