Daihatsu Charade 1987-93

SambaS

• 2 months later...

Sambo, I might, that's a    BIG   " MIGHT", be able to locate you a fuel pump out here, in de islands...

have a friend who worked for Leeward Motors, who sold tons of G11's  (all dissolved now..  except mine  :-D   )

and both 3cyl + 4cyl G100's, & he is sitting on a complete engine, plus there are a few scattrd round the island in- in incongruous places.....

i.e.  in de bushes, mon, where I dragged my white Hi-roof G11 from that stood since 2005 ) (photos for Dugong/ Junkymon

still in de camera ...)

I will look into it for you over the hot weekend   :mrgreen:

all you have to do is collect, bit like popping down to Cornwall, really....

• 1 month later...

Progress has been made..

Bought a pump for this in December. Went to fit it and see what's what the other day. Gave up in the end as I had taken some M10 bolts which were too big to fit the pump.

I was just having a final nose about the car when I opened the drivers door and found all 8 M8 nuts I needed. Thanks to whoever that was at the scrapyard - they could easily have lobbed them on the floor!

What I'm less pleased about (cant have it all) is that on the car the high pressure petrol pipe has been chopped, and on the new pump has also been chopped instead of unscrewed at union.

Anyway a bodge with some of the spare hose and jubilee clips should suffice. Next time I should get the tank fitted.

10926216_10152696566232992_6615314591555

10923263_10152696564707992_2364963010893

10933862_10152696565022992_1317465822336

I also need to buy a new battery as there aint one, and it has tiny weeny electrodes so my local scrappy wont be any good.

Nah because somone suggested jubilee clips and I have those sat on my kitchen surface ready.

I did envisage spending £10 on a replacement one from (somewhere). Now instead I can eat for another few days ==))

Weekly hours at work gone down to 5 !

Really should look for other job. Like immediately.

• 2 months later...

1975097_10152897460747992_24870673498879

Bought-aged some new tools yesterday, proper terminal crimpers, automatic wire cutters and a tool box. Today I got a new battery, some petrol pipe clips, and some petrol. Wired up the electrics to the sender and pump, then using some man power we lifted the tank up and whanged it on. Lots of turning over and checking of plugs and fuel lines left me thinking a second can of petrol was needed. Hey fucking presto. Drives aight, brings back some memories of yore.

http://youtu.be/40RWsoDmLzI

WP_20150423_003.jpg

WP_20150423_004.jpg

Completed it's 20 mile maiden voyage today on the way home from my friend's house. By the time I got 10 miles in the brakes felt as they should with a nice bite, the engine warmed up and went from sluggish to revvy. I'd say she was working fine. Handling wasn't as I remembered but I think mine all had non powered steering.

Went to check tyre pressures when I got home, 38 PSI / 33 PSI in the front 10 PSI in the back... well that explained the unusual handing - they didn't appear flat when I set off.

Checked all fluids before setting off. Oil is brand new, automatic gearbox oil much the same, cam belt changed 1000 miles ago.. everything fine. Coolant a bit brown, well very brown.

Went to drive off form the pez station. uh oh! Click Click Click.

Assume over heating engine felt hot, went to get Monza and jump cables in case brand new battery was flat. Came back fired straight up.

After inspection I have no reason to suspect over heating (thought this as once a Samba did and the engine seized up for a while).

Seems the alternator is not putting out any voltage.

Battery light works, goes off when started. Disconnected and inspected all connectors to alternator. Nothing seems awry.

Turned on lights, revved engine no additional voltage registering.

Yay.. good to see this working* Edd.

I was thinking of you earlier today... do you have any shite stuck in the South-East that you want bringing to Yorkshire?

I possibly have a job carting something to Sussex from here, and I'm looking for a paying load to bring North.

We've just booked and paid a guy to drag a new Samba Cabriolet up from Bath, just waiting on him fixing a handbrake on his Iveco... dunno the chap like, BenjyP sorted it out for us, after the first guy on Shiply let us down.

It's a shame we couldn't have worked something out I'd rather the money have gone to you :(

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Considering selling this car as my camper needs the belts doing in time for BOSNIA 2016

I will offer to Autoshite only for £500 no nonsense cash deal.

Probably will put on eBay and gumtree for £795 as its a damn new Charade. 18,000 miles

While I'm still mulling it over I will leave this here.

EDIT

Anyone wondering what value I added to this car.

New Battery

New Alternator

Replacement Fuel pump

2x Front Tyres

An MOT