Huge yank shite - odd jobs.

danthecapriman

So, for anyone still interested.

I finished off a few bits and pieces on this and since the weather was nice yesterday I took my life in my hands and went out for a drive in the beast.

What a transformation!

It's running beautifully now, very smoothe and it drives 100% better than it did on the way back from Milton Keynes. No more misfires, no more petrol smells and sooty exhaust from running rich. It seems to be running cooler now too, probably due to the timing now being set correctly! And the cutting out issue has gone away too.

I drove it on small local roads, and up the motorway for a good few miles and it didn't miss a beat. Even creeping along in traffic on a big roundabout it didn't start idling rough or cutting out like it did before.

It's surprisingly fast aswell! It had no problem passing the motorway speed limit and it didn't feel like it was doing the speed it was! Not that I'll be ever driving it that fast normally, it's an old girl now and I don't like pushing my old stuff that far. 60/65mph is about enough.

The sound it makes is awesome too! Especially when cruising along then nailing it! Who needs radios!

Everyone looks at it too, some little kid in his dad's people carrier thing was staring in amazement as they went past.

Hopefully the weather will stay dry and mild for a bit longer yet so I can get it out again. It won't be going out on salted roads.

It has highlighted a couple of other niggles though, worst of which is the indicators not working sometimes and the steering wheel isn't on straight, which is one of my pet peeves! I hate non straight steering wheels! Should be easy to fix though.

Apologies again for the lack of pics! I need to do better!

• 4 months later...

Long time since I've really done anything to this but now spring seems to be just about here it's time for some tinkering.

So, I gave it a quick check over and fired it up. There's now an idling problem again! Different to last time, it runs very roughly and won't rev at all. Once it's warmed up a bit it will intermittently run perfectly and rev up ok but then randomly the idle becomes very rough almost to the point of stalling, then for no reason at all runs perfectly again! It's almost like someone's flicking a switch on and off. Weird.

Haven't got to the bottom of this yet.

When checking it over I did notice a few small yellowish drips on the bottom of the steering linkage. On checking under the car there is a huge wet patch on the drive! Bollocks!

image.jpg2_zpssdazjkxp.jpg

Hmm, the drips look a bit like brake fluid. Let's just take a look in the reservoir, Oh dear!

image.jpg1_zpsew5kljr5.jpg

So much for my intention of giving it a quick oil and filter change then going for a blast up the road in it. Oh well, it's going to be another expensive month!

Definitely needs a new master cylinder, it's soaking wet with fluid underneath it and I think I'll get a few other bits at the same time.

Then it needs a really good wash and polish, a job I'm not looking forward to given how big this thing is.

Recommissioning can be a real pain. Seals n stuff that seem fine, often then wilt when asked to perform.

At least, once done , you'll know the brakes are hood for the season..

Rough running, probably dirty fuel coming through, perhaps with a bit of water? New filters , stick with it, it'll come right.

Roll on the hood weather!

I'll get a master cylinder or a rebuild kit for it, and I might just get new rear wheel cylinders, disks and pads aswell as the old ones look a bit crusty. Do the lot and then it should all be good for some time.

The petrol is still the stuff I put in it way back in September when I brought it home, so is possibly going off a bit now! I don't think unleaded lasts very long?

It's starting to get to me a bit at the moment, every time I seem to touch the thing something seems to start causing trouble. The rough running is really irritating to say the least. I really hate cars sometimes!!

First 500 miles are the worst. Don't take your toolkit out till it's covered at least that distance, irrespective of how long it takes.

500 miles! The way it's going I'd be happy to be able to drive it 5 miles!!

Having had a good play with this over the weekend, it's still fucked! Possibly even worse now as it won't start at all anymore.

I've checked whole ignition system,

Tested for a good spark, which it's got,

Checked the carb and choke is working properly,

Tried adjusting mixture and choke, no difference,

Removed all plugs, spin engine over to blow out excess fuel,clean and replace plugs, no difference,

Changed all plugs for known good ones, no difference,

New coil, no difference.

Points gap and condition looks ok,

No obvious air or vacuum leaks,

Fuel supply seems healthy and filter is relatively new.

Im almost sure the problem lies with the actual petrol now. I think it may have gone off or gotten damp over winter and now it just can't start on it. Once it's been spun over in an effort to start up the plugs are all wet with petrol. A bit like its flooding but I don't think it is, it's just where the carb keeps pouring more fuel in but the engine can't burn it as it's gone rancid! Possible?

I've called it a day now as the battery has gone flat through excessive cranking and I'm getting really pissed off with it now. I'll try getting some fresh petrol next week and hook it up on a temporary feed and see what happens. Hopefully it will be the cause.

The carb feed is from the very top, so I could just get a length of fuel hose attached to the carb then run it up into a petrol can full of fresh fuel, if I put it higher up than the carb it should gravity feed once it starts siphoning down to the carb it should work.

The tank, pipes, filter etc. I can see into the filter as it's a clear plastic one mounted immediately before the fuel pump and once it starts cranking the filter fills up very quickly. The pump looks fairly new aswell.

• 4 weeks later...

Update time.

For anyone who doesn't know from the non start thread I made, I eventually got it running. Failed condenser was the cause! Always check everything thoroughly, even the basics!

I've also got the master cylinder changed, old one was a twat to get off. The old unions were seized solid and took a fair bit of effort to undo without destroying the pipes. Managed in the end though. Reassembled with a blob of grease on the end of the push rod, mounting bolts to servo were cleaned up and greased too, so this should be an easy job should it ever need doing again!

So today, I bled the brakes. I hate this job so bought this new tool. Does vac bleeding and also good for loads of other stuff too. No more needing an assistant to pump brakes and yelling instructions!

It works ok, though the bleed nipple adapters are a bit shit so I ended up just forcing the clear pipe straight onto the bleed nipples! Seemed to work ok though.

image.jpg1_zpsrsa0tqlp.jpg

Peddle seems ok. Just needs a road test now. Hopefully tomorrow evening!

New master cylinder looks nice after I painted it satin black. Looks a lot nicer than bare steel and rust.

image.jpg2_zpsewy44kiu.jpg

Fired it up today too and moved it up and down the drive. Runs perfectly, and the brakes work too! Just road test tomorrow, hopefully it'll be ok.

Nice day again today, so I gave the Mercury a much needed clean and polish.

Hoovered and polished the interior which was very grubby from when it was shipped over. Then washed the body. It was still covered in grimey stains running down the sides though so something a bit tougher was required. Original T cut was used and buffed it right up, even managing a nice shine and reflection! This was followed by a good coat of wax. This was carnauba wax, whatever that is? I've heard it highly recommended though so gave it a go. It was hard work putting it on and buffing off again but it looks amazing now! And the paint should be well protected too.

I'm really happy with the way it looks now. I also found a full set of original Ford floor mats in the boot, so cleaned them up and refitted them.

image.jpg3_zpscfuuu3xa.jpg

image.jpg5_zpsp7n3oeav.jpg

image.jpg2_zpssad2rii1.jpg

image.jpg4_zps8ockecae.jpg

Just need to give the chrome bumpers a good polish and I've got some vinyl cleaner and conditioner for the roof too. Just ran out of time today.

Cheers for the comments!

I really rate T cut, it seems the best thing going for oxidised and dirty paint. Trouble with this car is the paint is original and very faded, it's thin now too so you have to be careful not to overdo it. All it needed was a light wipe and scrub, just to lift the grime away.

The carnauba wax is supposedly very good for protecting and buffing up paintwork and meant to be almost insoluble in water.

I really went to town with it too, rubbing it into all the edges and seams to get the best protection I can. It just needs the layers of it building up after a wash.

It's bloody hard work though! The wax looks like a tub of lard and spreads onto the car in a similar way. It's horrible stuff. It takes a lot of buffing to remove and shine up aswell. The car looks good afterwards though so it's worth the effort.

Cheers for the comments!

I really rate T cut, it seems the best thing going for oxidised and dirty paint. Trouble with this car is the paint is original and very faded, it's thin now too so you have to be careful not to overdo it. All it needed was a light wipe and scrub, just to lift the grime away.

The carnauba wax is supposedly very good for protecting and buffing up paintwork and meant to be almost insoluble in water.

I really went to town with it too, rubbing it into all the edges and seams to get the best protection I can. It just needs the layers of it building up after a wash.

It's bloody hard work though! The wax looks like a tub of lard and spreads onto the car in a similar way. It's horrible stuff. It takes a lot of buffing to remove and shine up aswell. The car looks good afterwards though so it's worth the effort.

Autoglym super resin polish is good too, it is very mild but cleans and removed oxidised paint well. I use a damp foam pad thingy for wax and get it on nice and thin or it can me like trying to remove concrete. Car looks great.

Huge*

Mercury Marquis: 5.8 * 2.0m

Ford Transit 14 seater: 5.8 * 2.0m

The big covered thing parked next to it in the pics is my long wheel base mk2 Transit. Parked side by side the Mercury is significantly longer! It's bigger than my company van which is a LWB Sprinter, and about the same width.

Amazing that people regularly used to have cars like this back then! It was normal!

Down here in Temecula, Cal. you still see lots of huge old Yank monsters in regular use. Nothing rots ya see. 

Note to self : must start carrying a camera.

I really really really have got to emigrate to the states! I'd give anything to live over there. A nice trailer in the middle of a desert would do me fine. As long as I don't see another drop of rain again!

I really really really have got to emigrate to the states! I'd give anything to live over there. A nice trailer in the middle of a desert would do me fine. As long as I don't see another drop of rain again!

Hello.  Autoshite's resident Yank here.

Anytime you want to trade places, just let me know.  Maybe we can swap passports?  You can be me and I'll be you.

Hello.  Autoshite's resident Yank here.

Anytime you want to trade places, just let me know.  Maybe we can swap passports?  You can be me and I'll be you.

I think some sort of exchange programme should be arranged, so we all get a go as you, and you get to try out being a few of us.

Options, mate, it's all about options :-)