Need to sell one French chod piece. 306 XSi or ZX 1.9td? Help me decide

sporty-shite

Right. I'm skint. Again. I've got two cars. One is the sensible, economical choice, and the other is fun. I need to sell one, so what do you shiters think?

I think what I'm trying to do here is put them both up for sale, then whichever one goes forst leaves me with the other, and so the decision is made for me.

Here goes: 2000 W 306 2.0 XSi 16v. Bought from Andy 18s of this parish with short MOT and a few declared faults. Some of which have been fixed, some diagnosed, and some ignored.

Good:

MOT to August 2015

Taxed to end of Sept 2014

Runs and drives well

Has had new ball joints, drop links and P bushes. (no clunks and rattles)

Elec windows, remote C/L work fine.

GTI alcantara trim

Non sunroof 3 door (GR8 4 TRAKDAZE)

Not so good:

Drivers seat is borked, although there's a full trim on the bay if you can get to Norwich.

Speedo only works when it feels like it. FCF questions have led this to being gearbox output sensor. Apparently you can remove them and clean them up.

Heater resistor pack is borked. I will try to get one of these before it goes, as it will be an easy fix.

ABS light has recently illuminated.

Front wheel bearings are noisy.

That's about it. I'd like somewhere as close as possible to £500. This covers what it owes me after the jobs I've done.

20140916_142508.jpg

20140916_142521.jpg

20140916_142542.jpg

Second: 1998 R Citroen ZX 1.9 TD SX. Silver 5 door.

Good

MOT to June 2015

Runs and drives well

Electric window(s)

Remote central locking

Super velour trim in good order

Tow bar

Not so good

N/S window only goes down (switch?)

Heater blower inop (although I've tried a new resistor pack to no avail. I'll keep prodding at this in the meantime)

Drivers door needs new hinge pins, as they've inexplicably been replaced by bolts which aren't quite thick enough and cause the door to drop, making it difficult to close.

Lucas pump GR0 4 VEG

Like to see £350 for this, again to cover jobs done and money spent.

No photos of this as yet, but will take some tomorrow and post them up.

What do you think, shiters?

GR0 on veg = it won't appreciate cold starts on gloopy GM Soya oil. But twin tank it and all will be well, preferably with a fphe in the fuel line. Plenty of Lucas pumps survive veg cold starts, if the miles are high and the driver is a little sympathetic, with a coolant heated fuel line and some diesel and petrol in the brew

Keep whichever is less rotten. If they're both good, then whichever has the better rear axle.

I'd give the 306 the nine ten and keep the ZX.

Edit: it's nowt to do with heating in my experience, the seals knacker up on Lucas pumps if you run them on veg, it's not worth the agro.

The only seals which tend not to leak are those used on German cars, which were specified for biodiesel earlier than others. Bosch or Lucas, if it's French or English then there's a chance of seal damage. Best not to run 100% veg - even a small amount of mineral oil will reduce the chances of damage.

Looks like the decision has been made. The 306 has gone on gumtree, and once sold, will be replaced by the ZX, and quite possibly, the train.

As for veg fuel, I'm really not that bothered. I don't do enough miles for the savings to be vast, and it isn't worth the hassle or expense of fuel heaters and stuff.

Anyhows, ta for the input, shitters.