My Blog- Attempting the spherical challenge (GS rear spheres) 04/06/18

320touring

How on earth was that "puffing" from the exhaust rather than deafening everyone within a 100' radius?!?

I listen to a fair amount of metal;)

Tbh, that's not the main exhaust - it's a pipe to take warm air up to the carb.

The main exhaust looks intact.

So find out more tomorrow..

These cars are a proper exercise in how the motor industry tried to make the new-fangled monocoques as strong as possible with absolutely no regard for the poor blokes who have to turn them back from corn-flakes.   What a bastard little area that is, too topped off by being about an inch from the B post.    

Good work, though!

These cars are a proper exercise in how the motor industry tried to make the new-fangled monocoques as strong as possible with absolutely no regard for the poor blokes who have to turn them back from corn-flakes. What a bastard little area that is, too topped off by being about an inch from the B post.

Good work, though!

I imagine it all made sense at the time. You're designing for 5-10 years max ain't you? Not 59+..

Still, at least some metal continues to go back in. We're at the B pillar on the second side with one or two flat panels to fit to the front floor.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only ever done this on BXs and Xantias.On them there's no need to remove the strut.If the car is on a lift you start the engine and put the suspension into high position.Then put drip trays under the two spheres.Put the tool on one sphere and loosen it until LHM starts dripping out of the sphere joint.Switch off and put the suspension in service low.The sphere will unscrew by hand.Then cleanup the joint,put the seal into the cylinder,lubricate it,and screw up hard hand tight.Then switch on,service high again and repeat for the other side.Doing it on service high holds the cylinder rigid in it's cage and avoids strain on the pipe fitting into the cylinder.

If you have no lift the car would have to be put on 4 axle stands.The sphere is much more surrounded on the GS by the look of the pictures though.

Yes I nearly brought a beige LHD GSA in Cork about 9 years ago.My mother had just had a stroke at the time,so I didn't go ahead because of time considerations. It was in good shape and basically rust free, and was only €500.The only real expense would have been a retrim because uv had ruined all the seats.

• 2 years later...