TagoraSX - Motoring Missadventures.

TagoraSX

You may remember this ex philibusmo SD1 wot I bought earlier this year.

I had planned on doing the Tagora first but I haven't found all of the required parts as of yet.

It's a 3500 manual in Atlantis blue, first registered on the 12th of October 1978. It's basically a solid old thing with no gaping holes as such but the bodywork is a little crunchy in places.

Like 99% of SD1's It leaks, the tailgate, windscreen, sunroof and bulkhead are the known areas, so far. Atlantis blue is an apt name for this one as large parts of it are or have been under water!

Some pictures courtesy of the previous owner.

tF8tqT1_zpsfbff2bcb.jpg

htTAOZh_zps69caed56.jpg

iBtUP1Q_zpsfbfbda76.jpg

NkkIhxv_zpsf9d7227e.jpg

kiYZVdy_zps8045b124.jpg

ZwyOJC5_zps7530711b.jpg

AWaU5St_zps735a1853.jpg

UJvtNhp_zpsc48dcb3a.jpg

xWxI0i4_zpsf4472573.jpg

sEtGDCK_zpsf2477a5b.jpg

xUD7aFX_zps2c64586e.jpg

LQxXQSo_zps7be2156e.jpg

azpMLeF_zps0a11e896.jpg

5ias8y3_zps5e029568.jpg

sZauWw3_zps4baaa4a1.jpg

lxGzUXg_zpsa2c5523b.jpg

yPHLCof_zps19635875.jpg

qinMKoE_zps747d8416.jpg

LtmrD0K_zps88132b48.jpg

EhdLeXg_zps289aa85d.jpg

Dk6gZj9_zps950a8f06.jpg

Bqa41HF_zps7439d0ac.jpg

Thankfully the horrors I expected to find in the roof did not materialise. Once the gaffer tape and headlining were removed it looked remarkably rot free.

rover26_zpsf9d0b4fd.jpg

rover21_zps7137a878.jpg

rover14_zpsee912925.jpg

rover18_zpsa34c9278.jpg

The drain tubes were blocked and the leak was from a tiny hole in a tube joint above the drivers head.

rover19_zps28e9dd5c.jpg

Water was leaking past the seal on the fresh-air vent straight onto carpets inside.

rover24_zps39376095.jpg

The windscreen was replaced at some point and is starting to delaminate in places.

rover24_zps39376095.jpg

rover16_zpscc5901e1.jpg

rover28_zpsd6d8fccb.jpg

As said on the SD1 Forum, well done and hope you see it through to the end. Would love to see it finished, try and keep the original plates if possible and also the cloverleaf trims that belong on all series 1 cars IMHO.

Atlantis blue is lovely and also a rather rare series 1 colour which I think was only an option from 1978 to 1979.

Your interior is Coriander in case you cared :-)  

That's not as bad as I expected from the initial description.  Excellent fault finding thus far, it looks like it should be a tolerable amount of work to get it lovely* again.  I don't think I've ever seen another car in Atlantis blue, let alone another SD1, and it looks superb with that weird coloured interior to contrast it.

As said on the SD1 Forum, well done and hope you see it through to the end. Would love to see it finished, try and keep the original plates if possible and also the cloverleaf trims that belong on all series 1 cars IMHO.

Atlantis blue is lovely and also a rather rare series 1 colour which I think was only an option from 1978 to 1979.

Your interior is Coriander in case you cared :-)  

^^^^

I agree with every wow of that.

What a cracking SD! - and a sunroof!!

Surprising how little rot it has. Must have spent most of its early years in a dry garage. My father had a new SD1 in 1978 which lived outside and it was rusting like yours within 2 years. I much prefer the design purity of the Mark 1 and look forward to seeing more reports on yours as the restoration proceeds.

You know when sometimes a car actually wants to be saved? When the outwards signs are bad but you strip things away to find that things are nowhere near as drastic as you feared, as if the car was fighting off disease in a bid to stay alive? That's what you have here.

But I'm a ridiculously sentimental tosspot.

Brilliant stuff.  I'll be following this keenly too - with a mixture of admiration and fear, I expect.

Mine's dry inside apart from the boot, which still leaked a bit last time it rained but I attacked the rear screen rubber with yet another dose of Tiger Seal yesterday so fingers crossed.

Here's what the rear screen aperture looked like before it got welded:

12887783003_72c0672b20_z.jpg

Rover 3500 SD1 tailgate window rust by Skizzer, on Flickr

My scuttle panel looks a lot like yours, too:

11420711973_69cc23ea62_z.jpg

Scuttle panel patches by Skizzer, on Flickr

Happy days!