Channel Island Chod: GM landfill

mk2_craig

Posted Image

I reckon that was the Toyota I was offered on the phone one day, not my cup of tea but unusual and to my mind far more interesting than an Aston/E-Type/Austin-Healey.

Went back yesterday afternoon and the event wasnt really any less dull than Saturday morning, couple of pics to follow but I didnt waste much time there. I did however enquire as to the story behind the Hirst Wedding Hire Toyota, which was being displayed by the local Perodua dealer (!) on behalf of the widow of the chap who bought it new in 1980 and offers were being invited, apparently someone considered it worth £2000 which was still less than the old dear was hoping for but we both agreed that 2k was a pretty fair price for a slice of low-mileage retro rwd not ae86 action.

Posted Image

Wow this is way cool, a Leyland Cruiser. I've only ever seen one ther pic of these, and that was a brochure shot in a Truck book I have. Most T45 artics have the original, wider cab. I think the slimline cab was codenamed C40 or something.

Nice spots :)

• 4 months later...

Posted Image

No idea!

Think thats a German Steyr Puch Halflinger.
Nearly,I think you'll find it's a Pinzgauer.Can't see from the picture,but they came as 4 & 6 wheelers.The Haflinger is much smaller,with a 2 cylinder engine & much less bodywork.
Whatever it is it's as cool as fook - looks like a lego technic set I had.

• 6 months later...

What ho shite fans, I'm resurfacing from the murky depths of a rough old twelve months after which thankfully my XR2 and Sierra tat hoard remains intact and there has been a new addition (it is pictured on Shite Meister's photo thread).

Anyhoo, none of you will probably remember this from Sep 30th '07

Time for another update. Excuse the quality on some of these, the cameraphone is definitely on its way out now and sacked me off while trying to get an impromptu snap of a BEIGE Y-REG AMBASSADOR that against all odds had somehow found its way to the island. Leics registration too.

but yesterday's Jersey Evening Post carried this photo

Posted Image

in an article on the film Southern Softies, filmed in the island on a budget of £12k. Sounds like the movie sucks a bit though :)

Loads of old rammle spotted and snapped over the past year, must get round to sharing some of it with y'all

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Alderney registered cars are not noted for their longevity.........if that's still around I'll be amazed!

Yep: I don't hold out much hope, but you never know.

Just wondered if there was any way of checking.

You never know the owner might have held on to some spares. ;)

Hi Keef

That photo is apparently from 22 years ago so it's a pretty long shot!

As a rule, if a Channel Island vehicle is declared broken up or exported, its registration mark is usually re-issued a short time later. Alderney comes under the jurisdiction of Guernsey and I presume follows the same practice, though there's only 2400 residents there so I suspect there might be a lot of un-issued combinations (when I visited a few years ago the highest numbers were something like AY28xx).

Therefore I would start with the Guernsey vehicle licensing office tel. 01481 243400, first question is do they cover Alderney as well and if not who should be contacted. Once you're onto the right person, they might be reluctant to reveal information, but if asked simply whether that registration is listed as being allocated to a red Wolseley they should be able to give a yes or no answer. Guernsey only computerised their records fairly recently, and I don't know if their old paper-based system has been transferred to public archive like in Jersey, so assuming Alderney's the same finding out more might either be impossible or involve a fair bit of digging.

Hope this helps. The last Crab I saw in Jersey was the white one pictured early on in this thread about four years ago. I've seen it more recently looking derelict on an industrial estate - but possibly lined up for restoration.

• 5 years later...

Well then.  I've been at this lark over ten years now, and despite never quite getting round to uploading them, I've amassed hundreds more "spot" photos, most sitting on a portable hard drive somewhere.  Just when I'm thinking about having a look through and getting them online, that Photobucket nonsense all kicks off, what a right load of arseache eh.  Thought I'd share a few recent ones anyway:

post-132-0-20396800-1504902871_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-74519200-1504902887_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-05327200-1504902907_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-19483600-1504902999_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-27493900-1504903016_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-38192100-1504903057_thumb.jpg

Nice looking motor this.  Went through the local auctions after owner passed away, I think the hammer fell at just under £4k.  And yes it is a "twin plenum" which doesnt mean much to me but apparently had various people wanking themselves daft over it.

post-132-0-60451000-1504903256_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-75042600-1504903262_thumb.jpg

In other news.  Amazing isnt it, that no matter how much the values of "retro" Fords go crazy, you still get folk matt-blacking old Capris as if they were still all fifty quid bangers.  I've had a huge number of spots at this location opposite a builders merchants, I wonder if there's some local tat hoarder with a barn full of chod who takes everything out for a couple of weeks at a time then hides it away for another dozen years.

post-132-0-82751500-1504903658_thumb.jpg

Now I used to make a thing of signing off with a mk2 Fiesta.  Naturally the pot is running dry these days, even over here but here's a shot from a few months back, possibly owned by the same person.  Amazingly the XR2 was then advertised for sale for £150 and I saw the ad a day too late, GAHHH!!!  Blue one is a left hand drive diesel which is about as grim as these things can possibly get,  I do have a good few other Fiestas on camera seen since 2009 which is when I kinda ran out of steam with the whole uploading pictures of manky old yad effort.  Might get back on it over the winter!

Good to see you still posting up the old CIC, I have missed those updates. No many active members left from 'the old days' still with their original usernames!

I'd actually take the Diesel Fiesta. There was an almost identical rhd example languishing in the driveway of an abandoned house a few streets away from me way back in about 2000. I also have fond memories of driving about all summer back in 1998 in the works' hack which was a diesel. Glow plugs were tired as hell but once it was stoked up it went well. The XR2i alloys, rear spoiler and white blowover gave me a bit more street cred than driving about in mummy's mumsy MK4 lol!