Well that's a bit random - somebody stole half my car... eBay nob content

explosive-cabbage

I saw a cheap shitty 306TD on ebay, and decided to have a random late night booze fuelled Gixen mish, thus winning this 

$_57.JPG

for the pricely sum of £62!

(MR2 Mk1 spotted!)

Here is my 306 d turbo s... 
In a kingfisher green up for spares or repair.
Engine and box are perfect. Timing belt done 2000 miles ago as well as a brand new luk clutch... Water pump changed too... Straight through exhaust and has the pump and turbo turned up.... 

Bad points...
Needs new seats as they are good for nothing.
A full valet
Boot lid does not open and needs a window... Quoted 30 quid for boot lid with window and could spray yourself.
Been a brilliant motor until GSF supplied faulty parts and wishbone snapped. Has since had new driveshaft, wishbone, drop links, ball joint and suspension leg put in and sorted... 
As always locks are faulty on these things... Has mot for a month or two. Tax jus ran out. 
Windows have been disconnected because one came of the runner and just couldn't be bothered fixing. 
Not looking for much so it's a 99p start... Enjoy :-))) no time wasters.. This cars not good enough for time wasters just for people who know what they need :-)

Immediately my suspicions are raised - two of Rochdale's finest gentlemen are hanging around, grinning, and the car has a smashed rear window. 

$_57.JPG

It is also parked in an MOT garage car park - too many problems for them to worth fixing?

Well as the engine and box are 'perfect' I am not bothered how many bricks they want to throw at it, and for £62 you just can't go wrong. 

$_57.JPG

So I email the seller and ask when I can collect - Friday maybe? - and he doesnt reply. I find his phone number on another listing - for a chavvy Corrolla G6 - and text him. Still no reply, and 3 days go by. 

Getting worried I turn to my brother KruJoe for instruction and suggest this:

I think the seller is a bit of a time waster - he hasnt got back to me yet. 

Two options - Report it to eBay (pointless)
or... Bid and win the Corolla G6 1.3 he has for sale on ebay, make contact, tell him I will collect the 306 first and the Corolla a week after, and pay cash on collection for the 306 and then never turn up for the Corolla. Slapped wrist off ebay and a taste of his own medicine? 

What you think? 

I try texting him and get a reply straight away -

Ive emailed you back, check on eBay

I check eBay messages and find two messages -

Dear willcarr10,

Hi will... I'm sorry but the car was parked in a car park and nowhere near my house. Since it's been parked there the gearbox as well as 2 wheels and the exhaust system have gone missing... Clearly stolen. Iv reported the issue and I'm more than sure nothing will happen about it. I am sorry about the inconvenience.... But if you'd still like to take it your more than welcome .

- ussy7867

and 

Dear willcarr10,

The vehicle is not parked at my house but at a car park. The gearbox 2 wheels exhaust system and other bits have been stolen. I have reported this to the police and have no idea of what will happen next. The rear window was clearly broken so they have got in easy enough. It has been done in the last 2 weeks as I haven't been near the car for a couple of weeks. I am sorry about the inconvenience. But honestly the car will now just be weighed in for what is left . Cheers

- ussy7867

Some fucker has stolen my gearbox!

Unbelivable!

How am I meant to illegally A-frame it home without a gearbox!?!

FFS.

So I email him back - 

Dear ussy7867,

Hi again

Can you please send me some pics of the car as it is now, with pictures of where any parts have been taken from. Want to know wether it will still roll with some new wheels on - I should be able to pop in a repalcement gearbox in a couple of hours.
I will send you my email address by text.
I might be able to get something sorted. I want it for the engine really.
Please also send me an address and postcode asap so I can find it, and have a look over it. I might be able to pop down this afternoon to see wether it is worth bothering with.

Thanks for getting back to me!

- willcarr10

Is it worth taking and fitting a new gearbox just to drag it home? 

(one of the engine mounts is on the gearbox housing)

Or can I place a scaffholding pipe or crowbar between the two strut tops and ratchet strap the engine up off the subframe? 

It is still worth the effort - but how? It has a good engine is worth £100 as a scrap shell - I might offer him £50.

(He has obviously sold the gearbox and exhaust for more than £12)

What are your thoughts?

I don't want to give him the satisfaction of palming off an eBay buyer after it sold for less that its value!

I've seen this happen before at garages where the parts haven't been stolen - they've been taken by the garage to fix another car, partly because he left it there so long they got fed up with the sight of it.  Whether this is really stolen or not isn't important.  Your decision, you should probably run away - unless you get satisfaction from fixing up something that has been abandoned, but it looks like a lot of work. 

Get some of wheels (Autoshite wanted/offered ads have a set of 205) and a car dolly, blocks of wood and some ratshit straps. Strap it safely* together and lift front safely* onto blocks and slide the dolly under. Tie it all together with baling twine and check you AA card covers shonky tat tied to old bedframe on wheels. GCPGW except your phone stops working so there's no pez station shot.  I'll sub you £5 if I can have a 60cm x 120cm ad on the back of your Autoshite road train

I've read more believable stories in the Readers Letters section of Razzle in 1981.

Sack it off, neg him then get a new account and bid on his other car.

Someone nicked the gearbox? Bollocks. As if some thief is going to lie under a car taking major mechanical bits off. He's either used bits for another job, or he's bullshitting you. Either way, cheap or not, it just doesn't seem worth the hassle.

Unless he is just making an excuse for not selling it to you because of the low sale price? I wonder if its actially still complete?

THIS.

He's just pissed that the car didn't fetch what he'd hoped. It'll be intact I bet. Shame there aren't a few shiters who could go and 'collect' it for you.

He says it has a good engine. Judging by the speed and efficiency in which he dealt with your first request, plus the fact the box and exhaust were "stolen" suggest to me that this mans word is completely reliable.

It's a bag o'shite. I can see an epic thread coming up leading to heartbreak upon the discovery that the fanbelt is a piece of hairy string, the cambelt is a fibrous mass at the bottom of the timing cover, and the valves have become intimately acquainted with the pistons many, many times.

Tailgate is dented, bonnet looks bent, god knows what damage was done when the box was taken out. Did the "miscreants" use the correct tools and replace the wishbones, etc afterwards or did they cut through the suspension with a torch? To quote Colcs Bob the Builder avatar, can we fix it?

No, it's fucked.....