So... what's happened to the Chrysler Delta?

Owain71

I know it wasn't well received by the press, but after little more than a couple of years on sale it no longer features on the Chrysler UK website, whose product offering is now just Ypsilon - 300C - Voyager.

Chrysler-Delta-001.jpg

It's still on Lancia's website, though.

There's one here in my village and I kinda like it... 100% future shite, for sure.

Answers on a postcard...

It's an uglier more expensive Fiat Bravo with a Chrysler badge. There's not much to like in that combination.

That ypsilon thing is even worse some of the 2 tone paint jobs it comes in make it look like dinosaurs hemorrhoid.

P.S do not google hemorrhoid even if it's just to see how to spell it. :neutral:

That ypsilon thing is even worse some of the 2 tone paint jobs it comes in make it look like dinosaurs hemorrhoid.

I'd never looked at them but I've just been on Chrysler's website and I actually like them! Quick glance at Autotrader suggests they don't have Mini residuals so I can't wait to pick one up in a couple of years. 

Two tone paint! Brown patterned seats! Confusingly marked speedo literally positioned on the passenger side!

Interior%203.jpg

There is one down the road that I walk past each day. 

My thought process kind of goes-

Alfa Guiletta - mmm lovely thing, way too not shite for me.

Fiat Bravo - Meh.

Chrysler/Lancia Delta - Yes please. A car only its mother could love. Utter shite, an ugly Guiletta. What not to like. I rather have one of these than that god awful Dacia thing.

Confusingly marked speedo literally positioned on the passenger side!

Jesus, I've just google image searched this and you are completely right, how the fuck are you supposed to see how fast you are going from the driver seat? and how the hell did it pass type approval (or whatever it is) for RHD like that? I thought new minis were bad, thats literally in front of the passenger.

I know a guy that works for Iveco in their London design office, no, really they have such a thing.

Anyway ,he's got a Delta as a company car,bit of a come down from his last Alfa 159 but his choice was a Guilietta,500L or whatever the smallest fake 4x4 Jeep is, so was the best of a bad lot as far as he was concerned. He reckons Fiat couldn't care less about anything but the 500 in the UK

Fiat Idea is the same, two identical looking dials with road speed further away from a RHD driver... just to up the challenge a little more the rev counter is marked in 'rpm x100' rather than the more usual 'rpm x 1000' so both dials have evenly spaced graduations labelled '10,20,30....' instead of the rev counter being '1,2,3...'. Thus Fiat achieved ultimate confusion as to how fast you are actually going at any one time. Plus if you are over 25 you're going to need reading glasses to see the bloody dials anyway.

In the end, the interim solution was to put the sat-nav on even when I knew where I was going - at least I know where the speed readout is on it. Permanent corrective action was to give the car back as soon as possible and run away. Not a good idea from Fiat (pun completely intended).

and how the hell did it pass type approval (or whatever it is) for RHD like that?

Large wadge of cash -> correct pocket.

I think the Picasso is similar...

20210-96g.jpg

Oh yes. I suppose they're getting away with it because the original pwoppa Mini had the clocks in the middle, except the Mini was only 18" wide so it didn't present a problem.

What ever happened to the "heads up" displays we were meant to be getting a few years back?

Where they won't distract the driver? There's only one reason for instruments being mounted in such a ridiculous position - money saving.

I used to build these P12 Primera's and as you say, it's cost cutting.

Same dash for LHD and RHD, but angled clocks, towards the driver.

A girl at work has an 11 plate Delta, I have just discovered (the Delta, not the girl - I already know about her).  It likes AA lorries apparently, always getting on the back of 'em.    I gathered it was some kind of Ital-Atlantickery when I clocked it on the road one day (must have been a rare occurrence if she is to be believed...).   Don't know why she bought it - she has no motoringly interests at all.