How best to approach the owner of this?

Parky

Since I was ten years old, a chap around the corner from my old house kept a Hillman Avenger on his driveway. It was there for many years and following a cursory look at Streetview, the darn thing is still there 31 years!

It is purple and well past redemption I reckon.

I don't want or need it, but I think this would make an awesome subject for a freelance Motoring piece and considering I am not in employ at present, why not eh?. I would love to know the story of it and to assess the state of it now. I last remember looking at it around 1990 when the hedge was being cleared away - I remember the approximate time as I had to brush my curtains out of the way in order to keep the hair out of my eyes!

Question is do I (a) knock and hope the bloke is chatty or (B) drop a note through the door? I would knock but would imagine the chap is probably not the sort who doesnt get many visitors apart from banger racers and the council, and his garage is probably stuffed with the bodies of milkmen, postmen, and Jehovah's witnesses.

Honesty is often the best policy.  Knock on the door and explain that you'd like to write an article about his Hillman Avenger which has interested you for a very long time.  Go armed with a nice letter with your contact details - home address, telephone number and e-mail and your name - explaining the same thing so that if he doesn't answer then you can pop that through the letter box.  Make sure the letter is handwritten too, this seems better received than a computer print out, providing your handwriting doesn't look like a drunk spider weilding a biro attacked the page.

You may hear nothing, but you can still write an article wondering about that old purple lawnament  without bothering the chap at all.

I get door knocked weekly (many on here will understand why!)

Most fall into 3 categories.

The first, lets call them Chancers, think that I've no idea of their 'value' and will be happy to let them take them for a small % on the pound. They usually get upset, even vocal, when rebuffed. Short shrift- & a quick shufty at their registration (Just in case)

The second, (usually met whilst 'out front')lets call them Interested Normals, are simply enquiring into vehicles 'they had when they were young (unlikely ,shall we say!).  There's usually no ulterior motive, so I'm happy to indulge a little, testing levels of knowledge in order to pitch my reply 'appropriately'. If I've time, I'm happy to waste a few mins & explain some the detail in the fleet. Most leave happy (if confused).

The third, less common group -are the knowledgeable. Probably a little puzzled (as they think they know-

but just cant place right now) I'm  quite prepared to open some up -go over detail, explain history etc. Often there follows a scrap of paper with a phone number ( in case I decide to sell. I do keep these- because you never know...)

How they make the initial approach dictates my response. I know (better than them)-what I have, it condition, worth ,availability etc.  I'm happy to chat with the civil types ,brush off he Chancers. 

I'll not often reply to notes through the door- I see no reason to make all the running for someone else's benefit.

So, dress nice, be nice, time right & you stand a reasonable chance. Do your homework too -so you can talk about his car on equal terms. He'll know you're genuine, then.

Good luck!

I suspect if he co-operates he would want anonymity as if the world knew where it was it would be a matter of time before the HIAB arrives. And if that happened I would feel terrible and also feel as if I was to blame (which i would be). I was going to post the Streetview link for y'all but thought better of it, just in case.....

As for payment I was considering offering him half of what I got as a thank you but I like the idea of a whimsical piece about the lawnament. My handwriting is terrible so I think I will type something up to leave with him if he (or she) won't answer the door. Cheers for ideas so far and if the publications aren't interested I'll pop it on Autoshite and then claim I is publisht orfa on my cv!

Ok, today I took my first step and approached the house. Only to find I had the wrong one. The lady there was helpful and confirmed the car had been there for years but she had no idea what the plans were for it. I got the impression that she wasn't impressed by it.

So I approached the correct house. Years ago it was a run down giffer spec council house, perfect for your recluse or hermit but a new family obviously lives there now. Two car driveway, block paving, double glazing and various other indications of a family rather than lone recluse. Sadly nobody was home, but being a detective I suspect they are a two car family judging by the two oil stains on the drive. Unless they have one car and take turns in parking it on the left or right side.

I had written a letter which I posted but I am now under the impression the family there bought the house with the Avenger as part of the package and have never bothered shifting it. It is well overgrown and I can't understand why it is still there. Maybe they can't be bothered to dispose of it, or maybe they can't if they aren't the registered owners? Or it could be the classic "I will restore it one day" tale. One thing is for certain is it is well entrenched and I can confirm brambles are an excellent theft deterrent.

Here's a pic as it stands - it is green, not purple as I first thought! Well camoflaged though and the tax disc expiry of December 1990 shows my longer term memory is much better than my short term.

As I said, I have left my details, lets see if anyone calls. I did find myself thinking "Zetec, type 9, D1 wheels and red paint, that would look awesome". I suspect anyone brave enough to have a crack will need to be able to fabricate at least eight inches of the lower part of a Hillman Avenger. Couldn't see the rust but unless its sitting in a bath of waxoil (it isn't) there won't be much left down below......

post-3538-0-55513600-1405519570_thumb.jpg

post-3538-0-91854100-1405519581_thumb.jpg

I think if you towed it out you would be greeted with a snapping, rendering sound followed by the front half of an Avenger bouncing down the road. However it might have had a particularly effective Ziebart treatment from new, or be sitting on a 4ft by 6ft sachet of silica gel, you never know.

If the owners let me I am happy to don armoured trousers and wade in for a closer peep. Or they may just ignore some wierdo who is interested in an old car......

Reminds me of the Hillman I saw in Stourbridge a couple of years ago:

Not been taxed since 1991. I did also see another Avenger just as covered in brambles near Worcester a few years ago.It ddisappeared not long after.

Stourbridge, my home town. Used to be a cracking rapier fastback crumbling into dust on the "birds" estate in Wollaston.

Was the Worcester one on the road to Evesham from six ways, outside a row of council type houses??

How did you knock on the wrong door? Is the driveway not actually in front of/or connected to a particular house?

It's not actually connected, but separate in between two properties. I went for the nearest one!

These pictures look a bit familiar, there's a gold Avenger Sunbeam 1250 just round the corner to my brother-in-law, I've been driving past it for years wondering if it was any good under all the muck. Eventually I went and had a closer look - it's as rotten as a rotten thing :(

DSC06081_zpsc8ec77a6.jpg

DSC06082_zpsea505815.jpg

If you're invited round:

Look respectable and have a shave, dress smart casual.

Try and find a potential outlet for it. Look through classic magazines: CCB, CCW, Practical Classics etc etc.

Don't make any promises you're not sure you can keep. Might make it into a magazine, not will.

Make an apointment to come round with a camera, note pade, or if you prefer, audio recording device. Make sure the owner knows what your intentions are.

For god's sake be cheerful and friendly. If they let you come round, bring some biscuits to have over a cuppa (if you're offered one).

If you're invited round:

Look respectable and have a shave, dress smart casual.

Try and find a potential outlet for it. Look through classic magazines: CCB, CCW, Practical Classics etc etc.

Don't make any promises you're not sure you can keep. Might make it into a magazine, not will.

Make an apointment to come round with a camera, note pade, or if you prefer, audio recording device. Make sure the owner knows what your intentions are.

For god's sake be cheerful and friendly. If they let you come round, bring some biscuits to have over a cuppa (if you're offered one).

Sensible advice - these were largely my intentions. Will stop short of the formal work attire in case someone thinks I am from the council but the gift of cake or biscuits always goes down well I think. I would hope that they will realise I am a genuine enthusiast and the fact I am a local boy might help too. After all I had my first proper snog within sight of that Hillman, it's important to me!

Reminds me of the Hillman I saw in Stourbridge a couple of years ago:

347d90b1.jpg

Not been taxed since 1991. I did also see another Avenger just as covered in brambles near Worcester a few years ago.It ddisappeared not long after.

God, that house is PERFECT! I wish mine looked like that. Guaranteed that no-one would pop in for a brew, bliss.

Sensible advice - these were largely my intentions. Will stop short of the formal work attire in case someone thinks I am from the council but the gift of cake or biscuits always goes down well I think. I would hope that they will realise I am a genuine enthusiast and the fact I am a local boy might help too. After all I had my first proper snog within sight of that Hillman, it's important to me!

No need for top hat and tails: a shirt and a clean pair of runner beans will do. I had my first snog in site of a 406 estate. I had my first shag in a Volvo 850. Good luck anyhow

Stourbridge, my home town. Used to be a cracking rapier fastback crumbling into dust on the "birds" estate in Wollaston.Was the Worcester one on the road to Evesham from six ways, outside a row of council type houses??

If the road to Evesham you mean is the A44 that comes from the 6 ways roundabout above the M5 then yes, but the houses was just a house that looked like it used to be a shop at some point (had some sort of Red 'Evening Mail' sign outside on the wall) The Avenger was nearest to the road parked by an equally dumped Mk2 Golf and in front of a Blue car I've never been able to identify. Whilst I had my own pictures, they were rubbish and I don't have access to them. Here is a picture of the car I found on the net:

44260295_ed960b6fb5_b.jpg

FDF 684L - Hillman Avenger 1250 Basic.

Not taxed since 1991.

I wondered about the garage. It's a decent enough size, perhaps it has a side door to the garden and is full of bikes? Or maybe a Tagora V6 in perfect condition? Either way if it is still in gaffer spec it must be full of imperial screws and old tins of Duckhams

It's the sort of place you'd know about and forget, thinking it will never change, then one day you just happen to be passing and you see a skip outside full to the brim with crap, i.e. gold to us. It's happened to me before; pure co-incidence or a deep-subconscious sixth shite-sense at work?

Linwood did the 'Chrysler' Avengers as Mr Welfare says. I read once that all Rootes panels were pressed at Linwood from the Hunter onwards, previous Minx etc had bodies made by Pressed Steel.

My dad reckons the Minx/Hunter started the thinner panels in 1966, the first sign of Chrysler's cost cutting. He never bought another Rootes car after deciding it, despite having had three between 64 and 68. To be fair to him the earlier 'Audax' cars do seem to survive better.

P.S. Surely Onslow started the fashion for keeping an Avenger in the garden? That show started about 1990 didn't it? Victor Meldrew also had an Avenger, before he spent all his redundancy cash on a Rover 216.

It's the sort of place you'd know about and forget, thinking it will never change, then one day you just happen to be passing and you see a skip outside full to the brim with crap, i.e. gold to us. It's happened to me before; pure co-incidence or a deep-subconscious sixth shite-sense at work?

Yeah, it's funny - part of me is thinking that the householder might be thinking "right, another letter about that flipping heap, that's it I am calling the scrappy". However as he has my details he might say "you like it, come and get it". God knows what I would do then, probably let you guys know to see if any Rootes Pervs can home it

P.S. Surely Onslow started the fashion for keeping an Avenger in the garden? That show started about 1990 didn't it? Victor Meldrew also had an Avenger, before he spent all his redundancy cash on a Rover 216.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_29904-Hillman-Avenger-1972.html

i029904.jpg

http://www.imcdb.org/movie_98882-One-Foot-in-the-Grave.html

This seems to be the only still

i448625.jpg

"Victor Meldrew: The Crimson Avenger"