Small shite

wuvvum

On a scale of 1 to 10 - with 10 being a Talbot Tagora turbo diesel stretch limo in beige - how shite is this thing? I'm not sure myself - it's sort of kind of a Mini, and Minis have way too much scene tax, but I think this is different enough not to be affected by it.

It's an Innocenti Small 500SE.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's one of the last being a '93 (they brought this shape out in '74), and it's a sweet little thing, with...

Posted Image

Posted Image

...a delectable ribbed brown velour interior, complete with strip of fake wood on the dash. :D

Here's the business end:

Posted Image

659cc of raw Daihatsu powah. 30 bhp in fact. And it does 60 mpg. I ended up driving it back from Coventry - towed it away behind the Subaru from its home just outside Redditch as it had been standing for some time, but it seemed to run happily enough so I decided to try it and see how far I got, and in the event it got home without missing a beat. It even had to tow the Legacy off the A11 when the Subaru's clutch went ( :evil: ), which is an experience neither I nor the car would like to repeat in a hurry. It also managed to keep its headlights all the way home, despite them looking for all the world like goldfish bowls (which made for some amusing rippling patterns on the tarmac on high beam). I'm really rather pleased with it, despite having paid a lot more than I would normally pay for a non-MoT'd small hatchback - I can't see it needing a great deal for the ticket and in the spring, when road conditions are kinder to Italian steel, it might take over the role of daily from the Renner Five.

Love that interior! It's sort of Talbot Samba / Alpine at the front but with Fiat X1/9 rear lights. You do find some gems! Reckon it's the only one in the country? I've certainly never seen one over here before. Did they actually sell them over here? It's right up there with an Autobianchi A310

How much Mini is actually left in it? Obviously the A-series is cone, but that looks like strut-tops in the engine bay pic?

Aye, you're right. I don't think there's a lot of BL left in it to be honest. It's got coils'n'struts, as you say, and I think the steering is also different as the steering wheel is at a far more sensible angle than the A-series version. The daft pedal offset is still there though, as are the 12-inch wheels, and it still feels plenty chuckable (I'd love to have a go in a 993cc turbo version), but the more conventional suspension setup is a lot less bouncy than the old rubber cones. The basic bodyshell is the same though so I wouldn't have imagined it'd be too hard to convert back to Mini subframes if one felt the need and was reasonably handy with a welder. I'm quite happy with it as it is - 60mpg is too good to ignore, and despite its piddly engine it's not desperately slow in the way 2CVs are.