Old KDM - Pony

MrRWD

This car sat for many years with a blown clutch and 110,000KM on it. 
A simple fix, and it was back on the road. Original Paint, 4spd Manual, with the weak 1.4L engine. 
This is the North American Spec car with the ugly 5KM/H bumpers that Hyundai had to add. 
With the gearing of the 4spd (really needs the optional 5spd), it can cruise nicely at 110 KM/H all day long. 
It's made several long trips recently. 

My favourite comparing the old and the new. 

Yes. I have a parts car as well, that is drivable, but stored away. 
Didn't have the heart to tear it apart and store the parts. It lives for now. :)

It has a 1.6L Engine, and 5spd Manual transmission, which is worth rebuilding and putting in here. 

Welcome MrRWD! Nice Pony. The front bumper looks to me like it's the same as on my pickup only spaced out further from the body with a few additional bits of plastic around it. If it is, you could take all the extra trim off and maybe remount it so it looks like a KDM version maybe?

It is the same  bumper. The bumper shocks, and the plastic bits were creative Korean engineering to meet the higher Canadian standards. The same for the headlights. They had to use the sealed beam lights. 

The Parts Car. Driver's floor is pretty bad. But it starts and drives well. 

It needs a new brake booster though. Simple fix. 

4542977927_3519593e3e_o.jpg

I've debated taking the parts car, doing a welding marathon and converting into a pickup as follows. 
It would have the similar lines to a real Pony Pickup, minus the tailgate and lights. It would retain the Pony sedan lights. 

BMW-M3-%252520Pickupcarscooptruck_04%252

No Pony Pickups in North America. In South America, there were tons. 
England got the MK1 and MK2 Pony's, including most of the versions. Pickup, 2 Door, 4Door, and Wagon. 

Australia also got all versions. 

Canada only got the MK2 4Door.

No Pony Pickups in North America. In South America, there were tons. 

England got the MK1 and MK2 Pony's, including most of the versions. Pickup, 2 Door, 4Door, and Wagon. 

Australia also got all versions. 

Canada only got the MK2 4Door.

That's really surprising... I would have thought there would have been a good market for the pickups there! It seems odd especially for Canada where the car was such a good seller.

That's really surprising... I would have thought there would have been a good market for the pickups there! It seems odd especially for Canada where the car was such a good seller.

It was probably due to import duties,  almost all VW Type 2's in the US and Canada are microbus's and campers because duties would have been too high to import commercial vehicles and sell them at a reasonable price.

The Pickup probably didn't come to Canada for two reasons most likely.. 

A) They were caught by surprise by the popularity. It did take some doing to get them approved for this market; with special provisions for third world producers at that time by the Government, they probably didn't bother. 

10357455_504667072966442_233031805165333

B )

American's love their big trucks. The bigger the better. Gas was cheap in comparison in the 80's/90's. 

The Green Chevy S-10 behind it is considered a compact truck. 

598970_342378722528612_1554943486_n.jpg

It would probably be cheaper to import a Pony Pickup from England or South America, and convert it to LHD.  :mrgreen: