Weird trim levels

Ghosty

That reminds me, my mum had a strange spec Metro A869TUS.

It wasn't even a City spec, with one door mirror, one rear fog lamp, orange reflectors instead of side repeaters on the wing, no radio, fag lighter or rear wash wipe. She got headrests retro fitted though.

Back in the 80's, a florist in Gloucester was running a couple of MG Metro vans. One Metallic green, the other white. Both looked factory to my teenage eyes.

These could possibly have been converted by Bletchley Motors in Milton Keynes. They actually sold Metro vans long before ARG started making them, theirs were called the Camand and Camion, when the factory vans arrived BMG concentrated on MG and even Turbo vans,they also made pickups.

There was a court case later on connected with a VAT fraud , something to do with leasing Metro vans then converting back to cars at the end of the lease or something BMG had their own lease company,coach builders as well as various dealerships and a rental division all of which was overseen by a proper old school dodgy car trader, who is now retired and lives in a Manor House a couple of miles from me. He doesn't have a helicopter any more just a nice anonymous Merc diesel.

I am quite proud of the povo spec on my Cowley.   In 1954 they came out (mines a 55 but no real difference) as a base model Oxford.   £42 and 10s. saved by the original owner of mine.   What did he do without?   

Passenger sun visor - squint, you bastard!

Little chrome cover over the starting handle hole in the front bumper.   Saves vital seconds with frozen fingers in the winter, that!

Chrome strips on the front wings - rust traps them, you don't need them...

Brightwork around the windows - you would only have to polish them and I can just paint them now they are rusty.

Opening quarter lights - less leaks, less pikey-thievery twiddling possibilities.

Carpets - rubber smells so much better when it disintegrates...

Clock - One less irritatingly borked and horrendously expensive dial to put right.  That's fine - I will look at my watch... 

Miserably small back brakes - mines a later model and they thought Cowley owners deserved to live at least as long as Oxford drivers and upgraded them in '54.  

1200cc engine (21 cwt car!)  - long ago attached to a chain on a trawler in my case.  Its up  to 1622 now - look out Mr 100E, you won't outdrag me now! 

Pretty much no sound insulation - GR8 for thinking you are going faster than you are (assisted on my car by comically inaccurate speedometer)

So there you are - anyone thinking they could save forty guineas and make it up later would probably have had to spend at least a ton to get their car up to Oxford spec.  Its also true to say that restoring my car to original as against an Oxford would save about £250 in chroming....Think I will live without that 1200, though.

I would get my wallet out today for a big 2 door barge with steelies, vinyl, rubber mats and keep-fit windows if it could be had with 4+ litres of power and no "connectivity" media shit. I'd take the heater option though.

This is proper shite, ticks most of the boxes:

post-17481-0-70384600-1405159257_thumb.jpg

Cherokee 2 door. RWD, 4 litre, 5 speed or auto, plastic interior. Even meets Junkman's "pre1986" criteria.

Hyundai Pony GT Trim Level. 

Basically a 1600GLS Pony, with a Factory Momo Steering Wheel, and the aero bits you see on the car. 

Only saw one black one years ago in the 90's. 

Hyundai Pony GT Trim Package: GT package (which included a leather-wrapped Momo 3-spoke steering wheel), tachometer, different trim and badging, fog lamps, and extra lights in the rear. All GTs came with the more powerful 1.6 L engine.

1555559_445949072171576_1629915738_n.jpg

1555559_445949078838242_235516289_n.jpg

1555559_445949065504910_268952655_n.jpg

the mk2 & 3 Cortina was avl as an 1100 in northen Europe in the early 70's. + mk1 transit with 1500 V4 cologne. mk1 Granada was also avl with the 1.7 V4 cologne.

Each of those must have struggled to get out of their own way...

This brings to mind my mum's old 1988 Peugeot 309GE, 1100cc engine, thin plastic steering wheel, push button motorola radio (clunk, cha-chonk, wizzzzz eeeeeeeeeeeeeexhxchxchcxh, finally tunes in to station), spongy seats with fixed headrests, manual choke, and a heater blower that made a great deal of noise but did bugger all to clear the windows. It did have a piddly digital clock in the middle of the hard creaky plastic dash, but no backlight! Seen to remember door cards very small and thin, lots of body coloured metal on show at the edges of the doors and the door handle trims and locking button trims all used to fall off regularly.

My mum got it in 1992, I was only 4 but even now I remember being told off for scratching the grey plastic louvre thing under the boot where the boot release button was, the thick grey rubber around the back window and anything else plasticky had gone crusty and about 5 shades lighter. Was a good car though, did over 100, 000 miles till my dad sold it to some pikeys and replaced it with a vauxhall astra estate....nice one dad.

E940TKL (Kent registered!) If anyone is feeling benevolent I wonder if they could tell me when it was last taxed please?

This reminds me of when people advertise a car as having 'all the options' or 'fully loaded' and go on to list things like electric windows and heated rear window on a 7 series or similar and you only realise halfway down the list that it hasn't got a single extra in fact it's one of the few without sat-nav or extended leather or something.

Anyone remember the Rover 820? Not the 820e or decadent i but the 2 litre O Series powered flabby Montego with an inflated ego. 

You can now impress SD1 owners/apologists by saying that the 800 did carry over some SD1 engines.

Remember them? I used one for a holiday once,it was a long term fleet demo in 1990, always a good sign they can't get rid of them.

It wasn't fast,but to fair neither was a 2.0 Carlton or Granada at the time. What I do remember was that it was the most comfortable 800 I'd driven possibly because it had 14" wheels with big bouncy tyres. I think it was the only non Vitesse fastback I ever encountered too.

There are some boggo specs still available. The latest Ford KA in Studio spec has keep fit windows and runaround locks. Obviously no air con' or heated screen either but I've bizarrely seen a few with factory Bluetooth integration.

Remember when around 1988, Datsun tarted up the Bluebird, and the base model became the 1.6 LS? Wasn't exactly poverty spec'd either, all round leccy windows, leccy sunroof, leccy mirrors, leccy aerial, and 4 speaker stereo, when the equivalent base Sierra & Cav were so poverty spec'd it was silly.

My lupo is an odd one. It's an se on the log book, but not badged as one. Chrome door pulls, two tone red and black trim, alloys, leather wheel and gearknob but keep fit windows, manual locks, tape deck and none pop out rear windows.

It's exactly as it left the dealership, i know because my mum bought it brand spanking.

Wasn't the base model bluebird the premium? Didn't have badges on the boot lid,just stickers

That came with the later Bluebird, the 88 spec base model was the LS, I remember my uncle buying one brand new from AFG in Castleford, it was the era when Datsun were loading even base model Sunnys with all round leccy windows, but those cheapo flappy mirrors