Vanette welding

Haverstock

On 3/27/2020 at 1:48 PM, funkus said:

tried to move, got stuck in mud in the front garden. had to wheel spin out into street as the camber was against me ................ sprayed the front of house with mud in the attempt. i literally drove it off the garden, through the MOT 

I so hope there is a video!

unfortunately not, but I could come up with something in the way of video...it sure will be left a panel van and on the original wheels as well. 

the only mod i'm gonna make is add some windows porthole style to the sliding door and same opposite

hey - maybe one of you guys can help me diagnose a problem I've got with it not running right, not sure if its fuel or ignition side...

it always was a piss poor starter in the cold, frantic pedal pumping required before all fuel in the bowl used up otherwise much cranking required. but I lived with that. what I got now is a very poor tickover. I've adjusted it fast so most of the time its higher than ideal, other times it still conks outs. at high revs its fine and pulls away alright, no misfiring - induction leak?

This is the strange thing. After dropping the tank and welding and putting it all back about 4 years ago. When I started it, it wouldn't tick over at all like a blocked idle jet is what I thought. but did no more because only needed to spin it round to start welding the other end. fast forward 4 years and it started and ran like a sowing machine and I left it running for about 15 minutes. Great I thought, the blockage is cleared. The very next day it was back to running rough with no tickover and I had to wind the idle screw all the way to even get a piss poor one. I cleaned the float bowl out and found 3 or 4 jets to clean, sprayed carb cleaner in there, no difference. Due to the current situation I threw it in the MOT anyway hoping he'd fix it. He said he cleaned the carb and it was better but nothing like the way it used to run that very first time I got it going again. 

what's going on, I want to get back to that perfect tickover again that I know it can do

This makes me suspect its the ignition side, how could it run perfectly after 4 years then rough the next day? On the other hand cleaning the carb seemed to help and the carb is past its best that's for sure

I'm gonna clean up the points again, maybe replace condenser. i'm guessing it cant be the coil or plugs or timing or fuel pump? surely not

Right at this moment i'm looking to buy a replacement Weber 34 ICH on ebay - which is whats in there now, previous owner replaced the Nissan one 20 years ago. they're setup for landrover but that's what is in there now, sod it it can't be worse and will prove which side the problem is on right?

drop the bugger in and see what happens

Sounds more like fuel, could have a failed gasket or split diaphragm?

Also I take it there's only one feed from the tank? My old T3 had a feed an a return as some had fuel injection so it was possible to connect it backwards (mine was but that's another story).

Does sound like dropping the tank either stirred the crap in the tank up and some got in the carb possibly?

Try giving it a rev and blocking the top of the carb for a moment, can sometimes suck the blockage right through the jets