Insurance (DIY Campervan)

Parcgwyn

Hi Dave. I think you should get some pics up now it's had that colour change. ;)

I think Footman James do camper cover but I'm pretty sure other classic insurers will to. I have a feeling some say things like "it's not a camper unless it's got a sink" or stuff. Sadly, when it comes to classic insurance, it's still very much the case that you have to ring around a LOT. 

Insurers are generally fine with my shite camper (74 VW that was built as a minibus) because I told them that it was professionally converted in the past (this could be true but is highly unlikely).

The fact that hardly any of it's original camping fittings survive isn't an issue, just the fact that a paid mechanic fitted some of it.  No proof of this has ever been required.

I gave up with this with our transit tramper van due to the camper reg regs though at 20 years old I'm hoping to wang it on the classic policy next year which should add fully comp and minus a few hundred sheets. A few places asked for a photo of the 'conversion' though of course I'm too much of an upright citizen to take pics of someone else van so I forgot about it.

No two people/quotes/vehicles are identical when it comes to insurance so just do the leg work is my advise too.

I've found Stavely Head to be ok with my campers kitten slaughtering OMG uncertified LPG conversion, to which insurers mostly react in a manner usually reservered for Taliban members making travel cover enquiries.

Bizarrely the Caravan Club, who quoted just £137 for my T2, asked only if it had a cooker & sink.

It used to have a sink, it still has a cooker, I told them this.

Much cheaper than Safeguard in Leeds who I've been with for 17 years.

Both provide proper camper van cover with £3000 worth of contents insurance.

Yeah, Flux insure my homebrew T25 thats still a panel van on the logbook. They asked for a cooker, sink and fixed bed. I pay about £300 a year without usning my NCB but that bizarrely includes driving other vehicles cover. MENTAL.

Actually thinking about it this year I went with "Just Kampers" cos they were £30 cheaper for the exact same policy through groupama.

Ive found Lancaster incredibly accomodating.

"You have fitted a straight six to a pair of Floorboards? No problem sir..."