Coming out

C1am

I've been lurking on this site for over a year so have decided to take the plunge. I've had a few choice* cars over the years - started off with BL stuff - two Metros, Mini, and a Morris Ital (2.0 HLS auto no less), which was happy as long as you drove in a straight line. Then I moved onto Datsuns - 120Y Coupe,  160J SSS Coupe, 100NX Coupe. I also had a Citroen Visa with a crunchy gearbox.

I don't know anyone on the site, but RatDat did buy my SSS Coupe about 15 years ago after it had been written off. My last car was a Rover 45 Diesel which again was written off (I don't make a habit of it), but I now see from the DVLA site that someone has put it back on the road. 

Present transport is a 1995 W202 Mercedes C180 which has been in the family since new. post-17977-0-27287300-1404156630_thumb.jpg

I've just started a new job, but am unfortunately now in a "Company car forces sale" dilemma as the business rules say its too old to use on company business (despite being about 10 times more comfortable than whatever Eurotin I'll be given). 

I love the Merc, and apart from a few dings and scratches  its absolutely solid.  It's a pleasure to work on as everything is accessible and actually unscrews when required, and has a timing chain so no cambelt woes. It ticked over to 151,000 miles today, but bet it would go another 100,000.  

I love the Merc, and apart from a few dings and scratches  its absolutely solid.  It's a pleasure to work on as everything is accessible and actually unscrews when required, and has a timing chain so no cambelt woes. It ticked over to 151,000 miles today, but bet it would go another 100,000.  

If you need to sell it might be worth trying on here first. When you getting the modern Eurotin company car?

Hello! Welcome out.

I've just started a new job, but am unfortunately now in a "Company car forces sale" dilemma as the business rules say its too old to use on company business (despite being about 10 times more comfortable than whatever Eurotin I'll be given).

Is it too late to get a different new job, then? You know that's the Autoshite solution.

If you need to sell it might be worth trying on here first. When you getting the modern Eurotin company car?

Part of the reason for finally posting was that I'd prefer it to go to a good home and not just be driven into the ground. If and when the time comes I'll advertise it here.

My job started today, so it depends how soon the company provide a replacement. 

I'm always tempted to make one of those early C classes my next main set of wheels, I reckon we'd get on.

Are they as comfortable as all the initial road tests made out (i.e ride quality?)  Is there a best engine/one to avoid (quite fancied the 2.0 petrol)  What's the steering like, precise/wooly?

See, you've only been on here a few hours and we're (I'm) already firing questions at you.

Fire away Carlo, I am also interested to know what these old C class Mercs are like 8)

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I've been posting replies which don't appear for four hours - I don't know what the problem is, so if you see more than one reply to the same question I apologise. I'll delete duplicates as they crop up.

The ride quality really is fantastic, the seats are great and noise is also very well suppressed - its a very relaxing place to be. . The steering is lifeless but still precise. Mine's the 1.8 petrol manual, which is has a decent turn of speed and is economical - I had a daily commute of 180 miles with my last contract; my consumption was 40mpg over three thousand miles. The figure is closer to around 30 around town.

Lots of C class love going on here.

Welcome along..

I forgot to mention that I've also owned two mk 2 Allegros - one manual, one auto. Have I ruined the thread?

I've read some bad press about the C Class on various forums with rust and unreliability issues. Cost cutting seems to have started with the facelifted version but mine as an early one has been great. 

not many of these older shape C classes about, or not for sale anyway when I had a quick search but I defo would!! Bet even a really nice one isn't worth a lot now and still a reliable motor if its been looked after..

Yes, a lot of car for little money and becoming rare.