2 Stroke in Diesel - anyone else do this?

Micrashed

Its been bandied about on various forums in the past about adding homeopathic quantities of 2 stroke oil into a tank to diesel fuel to improve the lubricity qualities of the fuel. A ratio of 1:200 seems to be about the norm.

Ive been doing this for a while now at the ratio of 350ml 2 stroke to 70L of diesel with the C8 and a similar quantity with teh Mav.

Whilst I cant say I have noticed any differences with the C8, the Mav has quietened a bit since I took over ownership and started treating it to 2 stroke.

Supposedly the 2 stroke oil helps the combustion of the diesel (improving fuel economy) Cant say I have seen that really, though the average on the C8 has increased from 36 to 39MPG.

It is alleged to reduce smoke as well, the Mav dosnt smoke but the C8 smokes like a beagle when clogged - its not reduced that that I can see, it still smokes like a beagle when given some toe ( though its fine when not clogged).Whether it keeps the internals any cleaner is up for debate, but I use Millers Diesel Ecomax in the C8 to ward off injector clogging on the grounds that you will never get the injectors out of the head so I dont want them going FUBAR on me.

Anyone else use 2 stroke (needs to be mineral not synthetic) in their diesel fuel?

There's a 20 page thread about this on the Freelander2 forum ,the general consensus is that it works and gives 2 or 3 mpg improvement . But an even bigger improvement would be gained by driving more slowly or buying a Prius.

The Tesco garage near me always seem to have Redex on 'offer' for £2 and when they do I lob a bottle in my diesels- in 20 years of abusing and neglecting diesels up to silly mileages I've never had any injector or head problems(apart from grenading Regie DCi obviously)

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford/0911dp_fuel_additive_test/viewall.html

Some info on this "unbiased" test. 

Did Solely Increasing Fuel Lubricity Increase Mileage?

To find out if the above question was true, we decided to run a two-stroke oil pre-mix as an additive in our test vehicle (unconventional at best, and with no cetane improvement). And after 2,000 miles of testing the product, the answer was yes. Our overall mileage increased 1 mpg in combined highway and city driving. Now, is it worth running this as an additive to gain a measly mile per gallon? You be the judge. But for less than $10, we got a 7 percent improvement in fuel economy and enough oil for 10 tanks worth of testing.

I stumbled via google onto a boat forum and have been introduced to the concept of "fuel polishing"

http://www.sdmo.co.uk/pdf/Technical%20Information/Why_Do_I_Need_A_Fuel_Polisher.pdf

Fuck I.

Its a wonder our dizzle cars make it to the  supermarche for fags and beer at all...

I used to put 150ml into a full tank on my gaylander td4 and it was noticeably quieter and gave a small increase in MPG averaged over several months. Its now doing what landrovers do best - ie up on axle stands in the barn awaiting some serious welding, and I am running a Mazda pickup in its place. I havent been arsed to do the 2-stroke thing in it yet. I might do one day if I remember/can be bothered.

I dont know about UK, but its getting harder to find basic mineral 2-stroke oil here, everything is Ultra Turbo Fully Synth oil for Mega High Performance Garden Appliances nowadays here.

Also, you get some funny looks at the petrol station..... "I didnt realise those were 2-stroke engines - do you need to pull a string to start it? hur hur hurhuhruhruhr"

I used to put some in my Allegro, 500ml to a full tank. Of course, this is a petrol engine, and though I can't say it ran noticeably smoother, I felt better that the fuel lines, carb and upper cylinders were seeing some lube, which is important with modern ultra-dry fuels. Since I last serviced it though, I've been using a colloidal graphite compound in the engine oil, which really has made it run smoother.

In a nutshell, for old petrol engines at least, you won't get smoother running but it certainly won't do any harm adding a dash of 2-stroke.

WHS^^ for the very few miles I drove in the P6 (before deciding it drove like a crock of shit and needed a lot more work) I used to add a dash of 2 stroke, primarily as an upper cylinder lubricant

I filled my diesel 940's fuel filter with ATF once in an effort to clean the injectors a bit. It went like a rocket while it was burning the ATF.

Work threw out a load of ATF a few years back and I can concur it turned my NA 309 into a proper road burner.

The Clio gets a bit of 2 stroke now and again though only when I dilute the veg mix with pez from the TY250.

I ran a ZX on any old shit I could find.

Was faultless until I luzzed in hydraflush - that fucked it royally.

In my experience you only need to add mineral oil if you are running biofuel/kerosene/avgas.

You wouldn't want to be running AVGAS - that's 100 octane, leaded "petrol".

AVTUR (Jet A/A1) perhaps - although the lack of lubricating qualities would probably do the injector pump no good (the pumps on our Jet A1 powered, Merc based aero engines have specially uprated innards)

I know farmers who chuck 'any old oil' into tractor tanks. Gear oil, hydraulic oil, anything. It does tend to go in the old hack, rather than the newer one, and is done for tight fistedness, more than anything.

So it can be done, but only safely on an old school low performance chugger! I think...

Problem is that farmers don't realise how hi tech a lot of seemingly old tractors are. Some have been common rail for 10 years or more now. And a lot were electronically controlled pumps before that. Never mind when it brakes they will look all surprised and moan that it won't be fixed for yesterday.

Guess who used to be an agricultural engineer ?

Still a lot of old MF 275s and suchlike doing a day's work though! The yard hack that hauls trailers, or maybe works a topper. That kind of thing.

No point spending serious money on them in their view. I'm sure you know the type. Goes double for smallholders, campsites and so on.