Text message received

STUNO

look at this get it bought was the message.

My reply was I want it but the Mazda has to be finished first (currently getting the worlds slowest engine rebuild).

So I went to bed last night thinking NO NO NO.

Woke up this morning ad looked at the ad.

Rang the seller and bought it sight unseen.

It's 500 km away ! That is quite a lot of miles too!

Now tell me it's all wrong and don't touch an auto one because trans is built of cheese.

I don't care. Collection on Tuesday

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=744635828

post-2915-0-14574300-1403399125_thumb.jpg

Buying a badermatic BX sight unseen from a text is the only way to do such things. Do a live collection PLZ.

Bonus points if you pick it up after dark when it's raining, and set off on your 300 mile trip home, through largely uninhabited terrain, except for oodles of snakes and spiders, that are poisonous enough to drop a horse.

Bonus points if you pick it up after dark when it's raining, and set off on your 300 mile trip home, through largely uninhabited terrain, except for oodles of snakes and spiders, that are poisonous enough to drop a horse.

Pick up about midday, but 5hour trip home includes some uninabited wild country, no creepy snakies but 3 volcanoes on the way which are less worying than snakes. Also it is possible to get snowed in on the Desert Road as it will be bloody cold there right now. Trip is hwy 1 all the way so plenty? of traffic.

AA membership....up to date

The photo opportunities will be absolutely amazing I'm sure. Whereabouts is it currently based? Must be somewhere on the South Island right?

EDIT - just re read the ad. Wellington is far enough! Still a great journey though.

Guilty texting part here. I was bored yesterday whilst Mrs_Jon was watching World Cup highlights, using my favourite Trademe settings - Any Vehicle, Under $4000 ($4k is a bit pricey but the $2k setting knocks out a lot of quality tat), 1990 or earlier. Had it on 'latest listings' when I was changing a page and the last car on the previous page was the top one, meaning a new car had been posted.

Took a look at that new listing and there it was - a low mileage BX in STUNO's preferred method of gear change these days. I think I was the first to view the ad and within all of 3 minutes, an e-mail and text to a currently car-less shiter were on their way. It was pretty inevitable that this would end up in a purchase; I didn't believe the text I got yesterday saying head had ruled heart. 

They actually drive ok. A little jerky changing gear when theyr're cold but otherwise ok. The only other problem I hsd with mine was the inhibitor switch, the little rod that attaches to the gearbox has a small plsstic bush which wears out and when put into park the rod would jumo off. Got a new one from Citroen at the time and it was fine after that.

Hi Ian, I thought you would be along ! I am guessing this will be a good one, not expecting to find any rusty bits and speaking to the owners son he said it is very good but does have a few bumps and scrapes given its age and the now elderly owner. A full dealer (second generation Citroen fanatics)history helps a lot too. I assume it is a 3 speeder trans, but if it is 4 that's a plus. I was actually bought new in Kuala Lumpur ( I think, will have to check) and imported very soon after.

Thanks both for the gearbox info. A quick google  told me that they had a bad but undeserved reputation , brought on by the wrong atf being used.

A live connection thread is not possible but as it will all take place overnight for you that should not matter !

A live connection thread is not possible but as it will all take place overnight for you that should not matter !

See the 'insomniacs' thread in the non-shite forum for just how wrong you are about this :-)

I'm sure we'll cope with the edited highlights show afterwards, though.  Good luck with it!

The Collection:

The day dawned clear and cool, great no fog (planes hate fog) so after a quick cuppa I was driven 50 km to Rotorua airport which had gathered all the fog it could so it could sit and do nothing all day. Went to the fancy computerised machine to check in, It had also gathered some fog so it told me it would not let me check in and to go and speak to a human. The human, who was very pleasant, would not let me check in either, because of the "low cloud" which was hanging about, but I could pay the departure Tax so I did. Then went and sat down.

post-2915-0-58684700-1403600909_thumb.jpg

post-2915-0-35236400-1403600995_thumb.jpg

post-2915-0-38095900-1403601106_thumb.jpg

And waited

waited

and waited

But during this time a aircraft was heard flying low as if trying to land several times.

Eventually an hour or two later this happened.

post-2915-0-70725500-1403601566_thumb.jpg

The driver had found a big blue hole in the clouds so he dived through it, and everyone was happy.

The nice human gave me a smile and a boarding pass, and as soon as the plane fuelled up we all got in and

went to the end of the runway.

The engines roared and off we went, then suddenly the roaring stopped and the driver put the brakes on hard.

After a few seconds the roaring started again and we were off ino the clouds. The driver never did say sorry for that though.

Unfortunately there was a lot of cloud, but I got a few not good pics

post-2915-0-13674100-1403602301_thumb.jpg

Mt Ruapehu volcano trying to look like a cloud

post-2915-0-67878600-1403602604_thumb.jpg

post-2915-0-13449900-1403602699_thumb.jpg

post-2915-0-36856700-1403602821_thumb.jpg

3 pics ov very dubious value

Anyone who knows Wellington will know what the airport can be like in a howling gale. so we bounced and shook all the way to the ground with the pilot doing a great job.

Met by the Citroen seller (son of owner) and taken 5 mins away to collect,no time to inspect anything as he was on his way to sell a house, so jumped in.

It started immediatly and sounded healthy so after working out how to get it out of park (it is a Citroen)I headed through the city and on to the motorway north.There was plenty of petrol in it so I decided to get well out of the city before filling up, but first some breakfast @ 2.30 pm

post-2915-0-60816000-1403603922_thumb.jpg

Along with the only bit of volvo action on the trip

post-2915-0-19625600-1403604068_thumb.jpg

to be continued

The day is getting on by now so get on the road north again old man.

This collection dries up soon because darkness fell before I got to the interesting part of the trip and photos of the scenery don't

work well at night.

But the obligatory fuel stop

post-2915-0-45490600-1403604761_thumb.jpg

Jon's favourite car dealership in Hunterville

post-2915-0-62692100-1403604953_thumb.jpg

post-2915-0-68703600-1403605094_thumb.jpg

This lhd Audi looked to have some serious rust, probably worse than the Vauxhall under the shiny paint!

post-2915-0-36586000-1403605230_thumb.jpg

post-2915-0-74830400-1403605399_thumb.jpg

post-2915-0-29795100-1403605541_thumb.jpg

post-2915-0-20973700-1403605704_thumb.jpg

post-2915-0-98689400-1403605912_thumb.jpg

then the final photograph

post-2915-0-46933300-1403606067_thumb.jpg

The car

performed faultlessly for the whole 6 hour trip, no wheels fell off either. he transmission which I was originally wary of was as good as they get with most changes hardly felt.Everything seems to work, even he aircon and ALL the dashboard lights etc.

Got home put it in the shed and will have a good look tomorrow.

Goodnight I'm bloody tired.

A new day dawns after a good sleep. Time to have a good look at what I purchased, after the newspaper has been read and tea drunk. I said that I thought this had been bought new in Kuala Lumpur, but was told that Hong Kong was its original home and it came to NZ very soon after, that explains the (I think) Chinese Citroen mudflaps on the rear. The sellers son advertised it as having done 79,000 KM but I am sure he made an easy error as the speedo is all MPH and miles. I will not worry about that though as the car is so good.

Met up with STUNO today and got to go to pilot the BX on a leisurely local trip. He'd followed me home in the Visa, so I had a nice comparison of a fuel injected 1.6 manual versus a carb auto 1.6. The two cars are poles apart but very similar in many ways and would compliment each other well, ownership-wise.

IMG_34512_zps4633702b.jpg

Apologies for the unintentional soft photography - didn't notice at the time. As is to be expected, it brakes well and I found the pedal pressure more intuitive than a neighbour's '93 Xantia I tried a while back. Suspension is not floaty carpet smooth but is still a lot comfier than more conventional stuff; potholes are soaked up really well but I guess that a CX or XM would be softer due to a longer wheelbase, if not anything else. The uppy-downy action also works nice and quickly, on both start-up and rest. It's certainly a cruiser but everything just works and it's such a nice place to be that top speed really doesn't matter. I think this BX benefits from an auto box rather than a manual but I wouldn't say no to either - it'd just have to be as sweet as this one!

IMG_34522_zpsddb4526b.jpg

Condition-wise, it's as good as it looks in the photos, with only tiny blemishes apparent, which naturally show up with the white paint. Still, I can't wait to see it when it's had a good clean - it'll come up really well. STUNO reckons the air con works, so that's a bonus, too. It's my first time in a BX and I was surprised how uncluttered the later dash is, especially compared to the Mk1. I love the bowed shape of the doors in the interior too, which offers a little bit extra space; it makes the Visa seem quite claustrophobic but then I suppose it is a much smaller car.

IMG_34532_zps17a57912.jpg

HONG KONG FLAPS, YO!

A look over this beast today showed it to be totally solid. There does not appear to be so much as a tiny dent on it anywhere. As jon said it does need a good clean. The cambelt was changed about 7 years ago, but not many miles, so will be done when I get around to it. A suprising find under the bonnet was the presence of two ratkiller baits! The only fault was an empty windscreen washer bottle, I filled it up and the garage floor immediatly developed puddles, I immediatly diagnosed a split washer bottle and removed it to fix. Out it came and it was filled and stayed filled, not leaking. went back and fiddled about a bit while thinking to myself that the aircon unit may have to be removed to find out what was going on. Then a bright idea, tug on the water pipe. It was not connected to anything and as it was lying at the bottom of the scuttle the bottle just emptied out through it. Tomorrow is dedicated to fixing that!
And then when leaving jon's place to come home I needed to clear the rain off the rear screen, I got 1 sweep of the wiper and It has not moved since, so I now have 2 jobs to do!
The original Radio/tape is still fitted but only one speaker works, so that will need investigating, I am sure there is a tape thing that connects to a cd player so I will see what gives there as the unit is a good quality Pioneer one.
Just as a bit of a P.S. I cannot see even a scrape on he bumper corners even though it was old lady driven. My sister's Suzuki is getting demolished from each corner inwards.
All up it is a very good car and will polish up well, me most pleased and jon also thought it was bloody good.

Great car, well bought.

I drove a manual version all the way to Paris once without using the clutch when rolling - not because it was faulty but because I was used to driving a Cmatic CX. 

If the spheres have not been recharged (or replaced which is cheap nowadays) that might improve the ride to ultrawaft.