Em Are Two

wuvvum

Picked this little gem up from Folkestone yesterday morning.

Posted Image

It drove 170 miles home without missing a beat, and all on less than £20 of petrol. Apart from a bit of a vibration from a front wheel above 60 (although this smoothes out a bit at 80) it drives absolutely faultless. And contrary to what it said in the advert, it doesn't pop out of 5th gear at all (what the woman meant is that the lever moves a bit when you take your foot off the throttle, which a lot of cars do) and the front compartment lid shuts just fine - it just needed a slam. Bodywork is reasonable enough, with the usual bubbling round back arches but nothing too drastic that I could see. All the electrics work, and the only issue with the interior is a bit of a leak round the top of the screen on the passenger side that could easily be fixed with a bit of sealant. It's got four nearly new Avon tyres too which seem to have decent wet-weather grip.

I'd never driven a Mk1 MR2 before, and I have to say I'm quite impressed. It's not stupidly quick but the performance is more than adequate, and it feels very planted on the road for such a small car, and yet highly agile at the same time. I think for a mid-engined car it's pretty idiot-proof. I'm going to put it in for a test and see what it needs (only obvious thing I've found so far is front indicator lenses, but MoT testers usually find something to moan about on a car this age. Still, for £130 (the seller let me off the extra £2) it's gotta be a bargain.

As soon as I'd got the MR2 home I then went straight back out and collected this from Leighton Buzzard:

Posted Image

It's a boggo 2-litre GLX, N reg with 7 months' test and 116K. I was actually after a small van but then this came up cheap and I thought a Galaxy would be more civilised than a proper van, and it can also legally carry six passengers if I ever need it to. Needs the odd bit doing (bonnet catch needs replacing and it needs a driver's door card) but it drives fine. It used rather more petrol than the MR2, but then I did get lost and end up going back to Norwich via Coventry (don't ask...). I got home at 2.15am this morning having left at 6.15am to go and get the MR2. Never again...

Great work Wuvvum, nice couple of purchases you have there. People carrier certainly makes more sense as laetr on you might find yourself in a postion were you might need it to carry 6 or 8 people, stick some original wheel trims on it!The MR2 looks nice I take it its and F-reg facelift model? I saw a similar one on "Wheeler Dealers" and I like what they did to the alloys, polishing them to a mirror finish.Lord Sterling

GR8 skillz wuvz! That MR2 looks like a rare thing - a genuwine BARGAIN off the bay that you could wait a fortnight, stick it back on again without lifting a finger and make a few quid out of.

Reckon you're right, although I'd quite like to keep it - I'm getting quite fond of the little thing. I reckon the Galaxy was a bargain too though - it needs odd bits doing but still pretty good for £340. And it has been a long-standing ambition of mine to own a car with centre-facing wipers. :oops: