Destruction of a Mint Rover? (From Classic Car Weekly)

Lord Sterling

To be fair, for a car so old there doesnt seem to be many people who do a history check on a car like that, also he's tried to get in contact with the dealer who seems to have all but vanished.

In my opinion, the scrapman who took the car should not have issued a certificate of desctruction if he did not intend to destroy the car, scrapman, as far as I know can sell cars if they feel that they can still be used or make a profit.

I remember not so long back a scrapman was unloading a perfectly useable Rover 200 Tomcat off his flatbed, he offered me the car which was in perfectly useable condition, unfortunately I turned him down, again due to lack of space, not money at the time :(

Everything these days seems to run of certificates and/or authorised papers, these papers can seal the fate of a perfectly good useable item, there is no common sense anymore.

And because its an old car the DVLA might make it harder for the owner to recommission the car, thats the way it is these days, if it aint new, its fit for scrap seems to be the new attitude these days which has all but replaced "If it aint broke dont fix it".

Lord Sterling

Happens alot I reckon. I've had a couple of crocks from a chap near me who has half-page ads in the sunday rag... "Notice of Destruction Supplied" & "When it's gone it's really gone" etc. Except half the time they are back up on eBay within hours, some with some without V5's.

...or crash it. Insurance assessors don't like that kind of thing. :lol::lol: Although I suppose it's easier to do on older cars where the chassis number wouldn't be stamped on the body. If you just had to drill out a couple of pop rivets and fit the replacement VIN plate you might get away with it. 8)

I'd just get hold of a scrap SD1 and ring it with the rough car's ID then weigh that in. Less hassle than the endless bureaucracy of trying to undo the destruction order

That's the best way around this, a bit naughty really but if it keeps a nice SD1 on the road bollocks to it!
When I first read this in CCW that was the first thing that crossed my mind. I doubt anyone would ever find out (or be that bothered) even if you sold it. Everybody wins - the car gets saved, DVLA get their red tape tied up neatly - no brainer. It's only like reshelling an MGB with a Heritage body.

He's a mong.How much is a HPI check these days? 20 quid?He should be taking the dealer who sold it to him to the small claims court to get his 1500 quid back

HPI checks aren't infallible. A few years ago, a friend of mine bought a Ferrari 308 that was HPI checked, and came up clean. He discovered 3 months later that it had been declared as an insurance write off 14 years previously!

He's a mong.How much is a HPI check these days? 20 quid?He should be taking the dealer who sold it to him to the small claims court to get his 1500 quid back

HPI checks aren't infallible. A few years ago, a friend of mine bought a Ferrari 308 that was HPI checked, and came up clean. He discovered 3 months later that it had been declared as an insurance write off 14 years previously!
Sure you could take legal action against HPI in that case, or do they have a disclaimer saying that their service actually is worthless?