eBay Lexicon

Junkman

Here is a new one I have just stumbled across.

"Tax expires 01/07/2014"

Since when do tax discs expire on the first of the month? This type of crap just reeks of desperado even when selling sub grand chod.

Technically you could argue tax does expire on the first of the month, and not the last day of the previous one.

If I have a tax disc that has 30:6:14 on it I'd assume my car was taxed until the last femto-second of the 30th, and only became untaxed when the clock ticked over, but maybe that's just me.

The way I word an ad would be 'Taxed till July' ;)

Na I dont agree, I see it as the dealer trying hard to squeeze some more time out of an expiring tax disc. Once it gets to midnight the car is untaxed and illegal on a public highway so if you dont have a driveway or need to use the car on the following day you need to weigh in for tax on the 30th.

I prefer to just say taxed until end of June etc to be clear  :-)  But leaving some tax in a car usually helps it sell 5 fold.

Fitted a 1.8GTi engine to it, but now decided to sell:

-The insurance company won't touch it; I thought I'd end up with a GTi on the cheap, but the insurance is 3x what the actual GTi would be.

-The new engine is a wrong 'un.

-It might have a GTi engine, but it's still Refugee spec and my mates are taking the piss.

^Quite often dealers leave the mileage blank on Autotrader, but wft? Surely people will only ring up and ask? I guess its the old game of getting the punter on the phone then at least you can waffle on about how mileage isn't important anymore with modernz etc etc "they all do 200k no problem sir"...which still begs the question....Why not just list it in the advert then.

I currently need a cheap'ish car, and am determined to avoid using a dealer . 

Just read of a 1995 "ute" that was sold with 11,000 km on it, new owner went to collect it, dug it out from under the rubbish it was buried in and hopped in for a look. The odo was reading 1100 km !

Also I recently bought a 1 lady owner, low mileage, regularly serviced car sight unseen. And it was. It was even being sold " on behalf of " and the ad was done by a third person.

I drove past a car dealership today and outside they had an 12 plate Fiat 500 up for £9995. On the window scribbled in windolene or what ever was written. 

"This car was £13995, now £9995 you save £4000!

No I fucking don't!. This car is 2 years old a new one is 0 years old. That's called depreciation.

On the mileage thing, when on Autotrader I might look at something fairly high but weigh it up against the rest of the advert, FSH or very low owners or whatever, there's also what they think is high mileage mightn't be what I think is excessive. If there is no data then I will 100% assume it's a crock and not even worth ringing up about.