Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

From the above - there's a 'something' parked behind the standing trio - little white car with 'different' bonnet/headlight line - I was thinking Renault but cannot find anything to confirm - ideas?
[edit] t'missus reckons they're all Vauxhalls and this is a staged photoshoot?

image.png

Edited by EyesWeldedShut
t'missus's advice

13 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

From the above - there's a 'something' parked behind the standing trio - little white car with 'different' bonnet/headlight line - I was thinking Renault but cannot find anything to confirm - ideas?
[edit] t'missus reckons they're all Vauxhalls and this is a staged photoshoot?

image.png

I'd say it's a Sunbeam Stiletto; a luxury Hillman Imp, with 4 headlights. The bonnet line looks like there are 2 headlights on the near-side.

2 hours ago, Andrew353w said:

I'd say it's a Sunbeam Stiletto; a luxury Hillman Imp, with 4 headlights. The bonnet line looks like there are 2 headlights on the near-side.

Sunbeam Stiletto

Have an ad - all the images I can find of the Stiletto (another car I never knew existed - my uncle had an Imp tho') don't have any bonnet lettering on it like the white car in the picture.

Yes the Stiletto was made as Rootes/Chrysler attempted get a few more sales out of the Imp design and to part fill the gap left by the discontinuing of the Sunbeam Alpine sports. Presumably to keep dealers with something to sell.

Made 1967-72. About 9000 made. And introduced a long-time after the original Imp appeared in '63. 

So at about 1800 cars per year can hardly have been worth it. It shared the Hillman Imp Californian shell - which was an Imp without the rear hatch and with less headroom in the rear - so not a great move really.

By the the late 60's all this Rootes badge engineering was getting pretty desperate - and sales were dismal. By comparison BLMC made 278,000 Minis in 1970.

But nice cars but dogged by their reliability and image problems. Such a pity as they were classy in the Rootes way and had pretty good performance. But really too little too late.

Screenshot_20221227-121043_Chrome.thumb.jpg.585e4b27000e0002b0abac48cf69f39b.jpg