Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

58 minutes ago, DSdriver said:

Did they break down or run out of petrol on their way to the seaside? The lack of a knotted hanky on the chap's head shows that it is a normal cloudy British summer day. :)

or were they waiting for the red arrows flypast? 🤔

That Austin must have been quite old at the time. The Mk3 in the background would mean this taken on or after 1971.

20 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

or were they waiting for the red arrows flypast? 🤔

That Austin must have been quite old at the time. The Mk3 in the background would mean this taken on or after 1971.

Perhaps they were waiting for the AA

15 hours ago, barrett said:

Quite a few cyclecars tried steer-from-the-rear, inspired by the legendary Bédélia

282343-1547821290-9984268.jpg

I have a recurring dream about driving my car from the back seat. The people in the front seats obscure my view and we crash.

Probably means something. Any psychiatrists? 

street.thumb.jpg.d0792cbdfe3280fba3c7358c5d05d557.jpg

🎶One of those days in England with the country goin' broke
And Sunday's joint is cooking in my tree
One of those days in England chompin' baked beans in my coat
Tell me when it matters, love, I might just wanna get out of bed to see 🎶

On 5/29/2022 at 9:51 PM, D.E said:

It apparently wasn't meant to be funny or anything, but instead was a proposal for a compact taxi in the style of the older horse-drawn Parisian cabs.

https://aventure-citroen-min.forumactif.com/t2915-un-taxi-5-hp-mysterieux

img_4711.jpg

I'd love to see how the steering, pedals  etc work on this, but detailed info appears hard to find..

I've seen the various replies to this post and wanted to reply myself but it's taken a while to find what I was looking for, namely a photo of the majority of my die cast collection, as photographed in the 1980s.  I'll try to scan the photo tomorrow and edit this to include it.  The reason why this is relevant?  Well, when I saw the rear seated driver of the car in the post I remembered that my brother and I had a Matchbox sized veteran car which featured a strange protrusion at the rear of its roof.  We thought at the time (1960s when it was bought/given to us) that the protrusion was a chimney.  This was not out of the question as we knew that steam lorries usually had a smoke stack. Maybe some steam cars did.  Roll on a few years and the acquisition of greater knowledge, we realised that the protrusion was a steering wheel for the driver who sat at the back looking over the cab roof.   We always considered this to be a daft idea and neither of us particularly liked the strange toy.  However, I could not remember getting rid of it and wondered if it was on the aforementioned photo.  This evening I found the photo and the car is indeed on it.  It is not a wonderful shot or a close-up so don't get too excited.  What it does mean is that I've still got the toy wrapped in cloth in my storage boxes somewhere in the house.  From memory, the toy car had a veteran Renault style bonnet, artillery type wheels and two seat passenger cab with an open front but solid roof. I can't find any reference to Renault making such a vehicle and I'm fairly sure the toy was not Matchbox.  If I can find the damned thing, maybe it will have helpful markings on the underside to assist further research.

Edit: Better photo of the toy added. It's a 1905 Vauxhall Hansom cab.  I'll put the full photo in the Shite in Miniature thread as it's more appropriate there.  A photo of the real car added.

CCB52B53-5753-4913-9EBC-F5F99943D3D3.jpeg

Screenshot 2022-06-10 at 15.14.51.png