Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

Here's a challenge for you ..

I'm looking for a photo or any other information about ; F H Brackpool (Motorcycle main agent for BSA / Sunbeam during the 1950's). They were in Forest Hill, London SE23

My two sister-bikes Sunbeams were each dispatched to there in 1953.  The one bike (an S7-deluxe in pea-green) was repainted to monochromatic-silver, I believed to be displayed for the coronation of Elizabeth II on 2nd June 1953.  The third of June was a bank holiday, and my bike was first registered on the 4th.  Her sister bike, an S8 model of Sunbeam, also in monochromatic-silver (an original colour only on the S8 model) was registered some five weeks later. 

Whereabouts / what road in Forest Hill that motorcycle dealers was - I don't know.

But here's a (low resolution) photo of Dartmouth Road to get you started . . .

spacer.png

And another of Forest Hill ..

spacer.png

And of Jack Surtees Motorcycles, 

spacer.png

"Reading through my motorcycle news news this week and came across a picture of Forest Hill. The photo is an article about the great 2 and 4 wheeled legend John Surtees. The caption reads ' the Surtees family bike shop in Forest Hill. John's father was the main Vincent dealer for south dealer.'.
I'm not sure but I'm guessing either Dartmouth road or the top of Kirkdale.
Anybody know some more? "

reply : " It looks like Sunderland Road (the bit on the South Circular) next to the Railway Telegraph pub. I've looked at it on Google Street View (does this link work http://goo.gl/maps/qYZuR) and the raised pavement and ornate building stonework look the same. "

another reply "By the way, not all that far away in Sunderland Road was Harold Daniell, the Norton agent, and previous winner of the Isle of Man TT." 

That according to the dealers badge was #65 Darmouth Road, Forest Hill.

There is now a Bravos Motorcycles - 193 Stanstead Rd Forest Hill, London.

But perhaps you sleuth enough to find Brackpool in the 1950's ????

Thanks,  Pete

1 hour ago, Bfg said:

Here's a challenge for you ..

I'm looking for a photo or any other information about ; F H Brackpool (Motorcycle main agent for BSA / Sunbeam during the 1950's). They were in Forest Hill, London SE23

My two sister-bikes Sunbeams were each dispatched to there in 1953.  The one bike (an S7-deluxe in pea-green) was repainted to monochromatic-silver, I believed to be displayed for the coronation of Elizabeth II on 2nd June 1953.  The third of June was a bank holiday, and my bike was first registered on the 4th.  Her sister bike, an S8 model of Sunbeam, also in monochromatic-silver (an original colour only on the S8 model) was registered some five weeks later. 

Whereabouts / what road in Forest Hill that motorcycle dealers was - I don't know.

But here's a (low resolution) photo of Dartmouth Road to get you started . . .

spacer.png

And another of Forest Hill ..

spacer.png

And of Jack Surtees Motorcycles, 

spacer.png

"Reading through my motorcycle news news this week and came across a picture of Forest Hill. The photo is an article about the great 2 and 4 wheeled legend John Surtees. The caption reads ' the Surtees family bike shop in Forest Hill. John's father was the main Vincent dealer for south dealer.'.
I'm not sure but I'm guessing either Dartmouth road or the top of Kirkdale.
Anybody know some more? "

reply : " It looks like Sunderland Road (the bit on the South Circular) next to the Railway Telegraph pub. I've looked at it on Google Street View (does this link work http://goo.gl/maps/qYZuR) and the raised pavement and ornate building stonework look the same. "

another reply "By the way, not all that far away in Sunderland Road was Harold Daniell, the Norton agent, and previous winner of the Isle of Man TT." 

That according to the dealers badge was #65 Darmouth Road, Forest Hill.

There is now a Bravos Motorcycles - 193 Stanstead Rd Forest Hill, London.

But perhaps you sleuth enough to find Brackpool in the 1950's ????

Thanks,  Pete

An area of London I know pretty well. Lot of nice Victorian architecture - very little redevelopment. Was pretty run down but getting done up slowly. My welder guy is nearby and there is one of London's diminishing car spares places.  Nice coffee shop too.

The Surtees shop is indeed 2-4 Sunderland Road.

20201116_132915.jpg

A bit more on Mr Brackpool.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/18221/lot/214/?category=list

I think Brackpool's also sold or repaired cars.

A bit more about the site - Brackpool's were still marked as Triumph bike agents in 1962 - but it sounds like the whole lot was redeveloped as a petrol filling station later in the 1960's from the planning history - which probably  finally closed the dealership (its not a very big site). 

Filling station then closed and these flats built.

Screenshot_20201116-141602.jpg

Screenshot_20201116-141316.jpg

3 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

dont know if its any help or not but heres a higher rez version of that photo, the Car in the photo is a Stanley Harper Mk6 invalid Tricycle produced from 1957 to 1960 :)

DartmouthRd_1FHhighst_DR1-copy.thumb.jpg.391a0ebc0b05b980805e5c1e3df4b045.jpg

Still pretty similar these days. Suffering a bit in the recent shopping downturn  in the past few years  - quite a few businesses have changed hands/closed. 

^ Funny how people used to do that.. stop a holiday bus and get out in the freezing cold to look at and 'feed' a sheep.   Oh., the simple pleasures in life.. 

..mind you I don't fancy that sheep's chances with the way that chap to the right is looking and smiling.  It seems to me as if he's about to put his wellies on .. "I'll take it from here vicar "   

:shock: ..baah ! "

21 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

My first guess was Diana Dors, but she had her her Caddy much earlier. 
might be her old car, though.

Bernard Manning? He used to like Yank stuff and would have been making money from the Embassy Club for about 3-4 years by 1963.

1 hour ago, artdjones said:

1524651_850193695009021_5746789638206391758_n.jpg.1411531603d80a0df33fb8f2b246caa0.jpg

"has just completed the Scandinavian and Sahara Desert Proving Runs"  Credit to them for doing those in a single-wheel-at-the-front 3-wheeler.  Both destination had more than their fair share of rutted roads back in the day.   

At least it were light enough to put back upright when it rolled over ..more than can be said of some modern motorcycles that have gone those ways !

"Petrol up ; 6d per gallon".  Outrageous !  ..At that price I'm not surprised their cars needed to get 65 miles per gallon.

51 minutes ago, Bfg said:

"has just completed the Scandinavian and Sahara Desert Proving Runs"  Credit to them for doing those in a single-wheel-at-the-front 3-wheeler.  Both destination had more than their fair share of rutted roads back in the day.   

At least it were light enough to put back upright when it rolled over ..more than can be said of some modern motorcycles that have gone those ways !

"Petrol up ; 6d per gallon".  Outrageous !  ..At that price I'm not surprised their cars needed to get 65 miles per gallon.

More than can be said for BMC who did little real-life testing on the 1800 - allegedly.