Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

6 hours ago, JeeExEll said:

Lovely model in the Mini pic is Joanne Latham, now 59.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanne_Latham

I am going to write another warning on this forum about not searching for a photo of the women under discussion. :wink:

The other one can be found in the Joke thread.

2 hours ago, JeeExEll said:

w6XFPjs.jpg

Distinctive headlamp styling on the first batch of cars. I don't think any production line ones had these headlamps.

Not just the headlamps, the slotted wheels and one piece windows on the front doors. I’ve seen pictures of cars with some of these features , but as you say  only the first few press and publicity cars had the square lamps.

The early press releases refer to them as Westminster 3-Litres too, in fact I’m sure I’ve got an Autocar somewhere with the cover story “ The new Westminster”.

2 hours ago, JeeExEll said:

w6XFPjs.jpg

Distinctive headlamp styling on the first batch of cars. I don't think any production line ones had these headlamps.

I can't confirm this either but I know I heard a rumour about fifteen years or so that there was a black example surviving somewhere in Gloucestershire with single TV screen headlights and the diamond pleated door trims I've only ever seen in an early brochure. 

43 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Is this lot out of Bulgaria? I'm trying to think of other Soviet-era states that might have let their departments experiment with capitalist cars

The plates look like Soviet ones, even without digging out my copy of Registration Plates Of The World I'm fairly sure they aren't Bulgarian ones.

15 minutes ago, Richard_FM said:

The plates look like Soviet ones, even without digging out my copy of Registration Plates Of The World I'm fairly sure they aren't Bulgarian ones.

I was thinking of states that used the Cyrillic alphabet, other than the USSR itself.

The Renault 20 bears the marking "Milishia" (Militia), but I can't remember if Soviet police were known by that term.

13 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Is this lot out of Bulgaria? I'm trying to think of other Soviet-era states that might have let their departments experiment with capitalist cars

12 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I was thinking of states that used the Cyrillic alphabet, other than the USSR itself.

The Renault 20 bears the marking "Milishia" (Militia), but I can't remember if Soviet police were known by that term.

These are all Soviet Union photos the numbers including M... are either for Moscow itself, or Moscow Oblast (the area surrounding Moscow, think of it like Inner or Outer London) - the next set of letters determine whether it's inner or outer.

The Nissan ambulance has former Soviet Union 'Government Vehicle' plates.

There certainly was, and still is, a Militia (or Militsiya) in the Soviet Union and modern day Russia; although technically it should be called  the 'Ministry of Internal Affairs'. The active officers are conscripts. It's functions are wider than western militias, for example the Gendarmes in France, .  The cities and rural settlements of Russia are divided into 'uchastoks' ; a feature unique to the Russian militia is the 'uchastkovyi militsioner' ('quarter policeman'), one is assigned to each uchastok . The uchastkovyi keep in touch with known felons, drug addicts etc to try and keep them on the straight and narrow. They also maintain local relations and are responsible for tackling minor offences like loud noise, residential area parking etc. The uchastkovyi is also the main, and in reality the only, 'police' force in remote areas and small settlements where there is no  permanent police presence.