Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

Try Google Reverse Image search (free).  

Copy the pic to your Google Photos then click on a little icon to find origin, which sometimes has places, dates.

It's a bit of a faff at first and I haven't used it for ages (only have a tablet) but it can lead to interesting results and all sorts of new directions for old car pics..

35 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

I think it’s Snow Hill in Birmingham, used as a car park through out the 70’s , Opened again as a station on the Chiltern Line in the 90’s I think. There’s enough train people on here to correct me if I’m wrong. 
My Dad also had an HA  Van ( DTS 168D) as our family car from 1968 until about 1972 and we lived in Birmingham then so I might have parked there too!

Buchanan St in Glasgow was also used as a car park in the same era. Naturally both Queen St and Central are short of platform space now that Buchanan St is a hideous shopping centre.

41 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

I think it’s Snow Hill in Birmingham, used as a car park through out the 70’s , Opened again as a station on the Chiltern Line in the 90’s I think. There’s enough train people on here to correct me if I’m wrong. 
My Dad also had an HA  Van ( DTS 168D) as our family car from 1968 until about 1972 and we lived in Birmingham then so I might have parked there too!

Manchester central was also used as a car park until it was turned into Gmex 

41 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Manchester 1970. Found it whilst researching  child poverty in Britain for MrsN’s PhD , which is about as cheerful as it sounds.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/gallery/2016/feb/06/gimme-shelter-hard-lives-in-british-cities-1969-72

Flipping heck some powerful images there.

Crazy to think I was alive then, somehow those images look like they ought to be about 50 years earlier. 

Lest we forget...

1 hour ago, ETCHY said:

Flipping heck some powerful images there.

Crazy to think I was alive then, somehow those images look like they ought to be about 50 years earlier. 

Lest we forget...

Exactly what I thought! I was born in Birmingham in 1964 , never knew that sort of stuff was still a thing, assumed the welfare state and modern council housing had meant everyone was at least warm,dry and fed. 

3 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

I also think it's Snow Hill, distinctive paving on the platform.

Not exactly eye catching but it is black and white. This is me with my A35 van and a brand new MG Metro during an Austin A30/A35 club visit to Longbridge in 1985.

49649370898_b95398edee_z.jpgDSCF1251 by timothy jones, on Flickr

The visit included a tour of the assembly buildings where SD3 Rover 200s, Mini 25s and the yet to be announced facelifted Metros were being built. 

it is eye catching to think that your A35 van would have been "just" a 20 year old van then

where as a 20 year old van now is just something from the year 2000!

it seems like there was such a large gap between old and new back then, then compared to old and new now for the same time gap

4 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

it is eye catching to think that your A35 van would have been "just" a 20 year old van then

where as a 20 year old van now is just something from the year 2000!

it seems like there was such a large gap between old and new back then, then compared to old and new now for the same time gap

That's just what I'd been thinking. 20 year old cars now are just indisguishable street furniture, whereas the difference between a car launched in the early 60s and early 80s was huge. It was that disparity that got me interested in cars.

Odd considering how much longer cars stayed in production in those days. You'd think the more frequent model cycles of todays cars might allow even more dramatic change but it doesn't. 

Aerodynamics and CAD are in part to blame. 

2495949208_032ea429be_b.thumb.jpg.1c2112aa07cf5b8eaf22492594c465c2.jpg

7 hours ago, BL Bloke said:

Not exactly eye catching but it is black and white. This is me with my A35 van and a brand new MG Metro during an Austin A30/A35 club visit to Longbridge in 1985.

49649370898_b95398edee_z.jpgDSCF1251 by timothy jones, on Flickr

The visit included a tour of the assembly buildings where SD3 Rover 200s, Mini 25s and the yet to be announced facelifted Metros were being built. 

I done that tour too.  I was there are when the Acclaim was being manufactured.

Local MG club organised. Just wish I could have taken a camera as there were some fascinating imagery which I would have loved to have preserved.

Yes I had an A30 of 1954 in 1977 - 23 years old. With it's black paint, small back window, curvy looks, sit-up style and slow pace even then it seemed of an era long past. Yet today I have a W124 260E Mercedes that is 31 years old yet in looks and operation does not seem so completely 'out of date'. 

50's cars in the 70's all seemed (nice) curiosities even then to most.

Do you still have the A35?