Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

2 hours ago, martc said:

image.thumb.png.809862575850f85314ef1be865658ad9.png

London Bridge, that there London, 1890. These folks from the past, eh? Not quite sure which side of the road to drive on.

Ironically driving on the left hand side of the road was supposed to originate from the Medieval London Bridge, where the rule was to drive on the upstream side coming into London, & on the downstream side leaving.

9 hours ago, Richard_FM said:

Ironically driving on the left hand side of the road was supposed to originate from the Medieval London Bridge, where the rule was to drive on the upstream side coming into London, & on the downstream side leaving.

I've always thought our "left-hand running" stemmed from the need to draw sword; most people, being right handed, would draw their sword using their right hand, to defend themselves on their right side. Of course, this might be an urban myth.....

3 hours ago, Andrew353w said:

I've always thought our "left-hand running" stemmed from the need to draw sword; most people, being right handed, would draw their sword using their right hand, to defend themselves on their right side. Of course, this might be an urban myth.....

That's what I thought. And Napoleon changed the rules on the continent to hinder local rebels, making it more difficult for them to draw swords on passing soldiers. If you're passing on the right, and draw a sword with your right hand you naturally point the sword to the verge, not the soldiers passing on your left.