Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

On 4/1/2023 at 4:41 PM, martc said:

image.thumb.png.5c91a0737083e7149319e75a4093cf83.png

1936 Bugatti Type 57S 'Antibes' roadster .

Even in my dreams I cannot imagine being so stylishly wealthy as to drive something like that ..in context of it being a 1936 motor vehicles.  Clearly I too was born on the wrong side of the tram lines.  As an appreciative onlooker - I'm very glad such things as Bugatti ever existed ..but it's as far from my reality as owning and frequently flying off in a Lear jet. 

I guess the Jaguar XJ220 was the last really stunning car of style that 'wow'd me  (most modern cars look like Chelsea tractors to me) ..and yet I see from wiki that its production period dates way back to 1992-94.  I really am a c.20th dinosaur.!   

But that Bugatti was is still extra-ordinary 87 years on. Wow !

Thanks for sharing this photo

57 minutes ago, Bfg said:

Even in my dream I cannot imagine being so stylishly wealthy as to drive something like that ..in context of it being a 1936 motor vehicles.

If you can't stretch to the Bugatti try the positively proletarian Voisin C28 Aerosport -

image.thumb.png.3829d52e0a618d7596545a8fbf374f3e.png

I think you'd still need to stylish though...

8 hours ago, Bfg said:

Even in my dreams I cannot imagine being so stylishly wealthy as to drive something like that ..in context of it being a 1936 motor vehicles.  Clearly I too was born on the wrong side of the tram lines.  As an appreciative onlooker - I'm very glad such things as Bugatti ever existed ..but it's as far from my reality as owning and frequently flying off in a Lear jet. 

I guess the Jaguar XJ220 was the last really stunning car of style that 'wow'd me  (most modern cars look like Chelsea tractors to me) ..and yet I see from wiki that its production period dates way back to 1992-94.  I really am a c.20th dinosaur.!   

But that Bugatti was is still extra-ordinary 87 years on. Wow !

Thanks for sharing this photo

I think Morgan were inspired by this in creating the Aero 8, but got it badly wrong with the cross eyed look.

19 hours ago, martc said:

If you can't stretch to the Bugatti try the positively proletarian Voisin C28 Aerosport -

image.thumb.png.3829d52e0a618d7596545a8fbf374f3e.png

I think you'd still need to be stylish though...

In 1936 this too would have been something exceptional  ..not least because the wings were streamlined into the body tub, which with its art~deco architectural influences were very advanced for car styling of the day. 

spacer.png

Unfortunately the designer appears to have lacked he ability to sketch in 3d.  As an engineering drawing from the side, front, rear, or top the lines work ..but that low flat screen and the bonnet line didn't work with the curves of the slab sides, and the glazing to body proportions were odd from anything but a high-up three-quarter rear view.  Its saving grace is however when the roof is opened, and there was almost nothing of a header rail ..a refined detail.  Perhaps this was a car that is much better appreciated from the driver's seat ?  Its interior is simple but beautiful in the geometric deco style.

VoisinC28_2fois-689318871.jpg.21c71917767b4579af19e34b30e69df9.jpg

On 4/3/2023 at 2:53 AM, Metal Guru said:

I think Morgan were inspired by this in creating the Aero 8, but got it badly wrong with the cross eyed look.

I think probably not, they already had their Morgan plus 8 and so sought to jump on the modern-retro band wagon.  Sadly it ended up looking like a fibreglass kit car.  Possibly the reason for that is its blobbiness (..lacking refining details), the excessive raking of windscreen and headlamps, and the avante position of the radiator grille relative to the front axle.  Try as the designers did they either weren't brave enough, or allowed to, move it that far back (as the Panther J72 did).   More Bat-mobile  than stylish imo.