Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

9 minutes ago, barrett said:

That's great! I thought it was a Cord at first but it's not - but still really cool to see a hopped-up Graham on the salt. HOLD ON is that a proper Cord in the background of the row? Wow!!

I imagine lots of fancy 1930s cars were easy to pick up 20 years later at bargin prices.

2 hours ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

It's the olden days when people had more of a sense that "we are all in this together", instead of todays insta/tik-tok narcissistic selfish everyone else can do one attitude.

Not to mention the 1980s Greed Is Good mentality when almost everyone from lower middle class upwards saw themselves as a potential yuppie!

23 minutes ago, D.E said:

Yup! This is a scan (of a rather small picture) of a page from the 1952 edition of Best Hot Rods. Bit of googling tells me that, in that year, a Cord was indeed racing at Salt Lake.

Interesting - looks like a much narrower front track than standard, so I wonder if it's been converted to RWD? Makes sense as the Lycoming V8 wasn't exactly a speed machine (and not much scope for tuning) even in supercharges form - which this doesn't appear to be anyway.

The roadster is a 1949-50 Edwards

534250172_Screenshot2023-01-29at15_41_25.thumb.png.5d44eb68d70149632ed1b6fc56785070.png

A new Simca in 1962 in Norway. And the background has a lot of different cars. Ford Anglia, Opel Rekord van, 1950s Oldsmobile, Wartburg, unsure about the white behind the Wartburg Fiat? So 2 Moskvich, VW Transporter and the last car I can't identify 1940s/1930s US?

183383810_Screenshot2023-01-3021_15_21.thumb.png.a4b70bf9c1c56c8a7cbb4bf976ce2cf7.png

1 hour ago, lesapandre said:

I'd not fancy one of those Amphicars on the lower Thames. The current goes at quite a lick and it has one of the highest tidal drops in the world. No wonder he is secured to a barge.

Don’t blame you.

Max water speed of Amphicar , 7 knots, tidal current of Thames upto 8 knots. Effectively you’re not going to move against the tide.

14 hours ago, lisbon_road said:

Every now and then I can't resist checking - and that Rover still exists.  Which is either incredibly unlikely or it is a recent picture - the thread doesn't say they have to be old after all. 

I have no idea of the date.