Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

1961 Ford Country Sedan in use as Taxi and ambulance in Norway. The owner had this in this use for 10 years and the picture below shows what the spring thaw on Norwegian gravel roads is like. And here a local farmer probably had to help with the horse or the tractor to get it loose, which was common.

124094273_Screenshot2022-11-2520_23_30.thumb.png.18d3eafb9b9059e6cac2d93eba216d9f.png

15 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

In that era UK export vehicles were sometimes specified with balloon tyres when destined for places with few/no tarmac roads. Was that the case in Norway, or did people just make do with being towed out by the farmer when they got stuck?

I don't know, but I would assume that at least in rural areas like in the picture, they would use tires with a coarser tread pattern for better traction. And dad confirms this if he remembers correctly. But know that tire chains were very common in winter.

And a big heavy 2wd car could probably get stuck regardless of the tires with how bad the roads were.

3 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I don't know, but I would assume that at least in rural areas like in the picture, they would use tires with a coarser tread pattern for better traction. And dad confirms this if he remembers correctly. But know that tire chains were very common in winter.

And a big heavy 2wd car could probably get stuck regardless of the tires with how bad the roads were.

I remember in the 60s my Dad had a Ford pop 100E. He had “town and Country “ tyres fitted on the rear wheels. I thought they were tractor wheels (aged 7).