Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

14 hours ago, lesapandre said:

I think so too - you'd consider yourself ultra-cool to be driving one of these in the 70's. The kind of car driven by graphic designers and university lectures etc etc.

Were these officially sold in the UK?  Even the humble 2CV wasn't offered for over a decade after Slough stopped assembling them, apart from some French built RHD ones that were diverted from being sent to Nigeria in the 1960s.  The lack of seatbelt mounts ruled them out for many years.

I imagine some Mihranis might have been privately imported.

Another interesting from the same photo. Car parked on the right of the image.

image.png.474017fae4e02598b1c634bea338ac7f.png

Looks like a rear engined car. The area below the rear window look like air vents. Not a Beetle. It is not a SEAT as the image is too old- The same reason it is not a Fiat either. The nearest car I could find is a Renault 4CV. However, the rear quarters are not the same plus that line would not be a 4CV.

image.png.cb6a1517f8e2cf432e7f86e91c0fb75e.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Rear-engined_vehicles

13 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

Another interesting from the same photo. Car parked on the right of the image.

image.png.474017fae4e02598b1c634bea338ac7f.png

Looks like a rear engined car. The area below the rear window look like air vents. Not a Beetle. It is not a SEAT as the image is too old- The same reason it is not a Fiat either. The nearest car I could find is a Renault 4CV. However, the rear quarters are not the same plus that line would not be a 4CV.

image.png.cb6a1517f8e2cf432e7f86e91c0fb75e.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Rear-engined_vehicles

Peugeot 203, I think.

43 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

Solihull.thumb.jpg.f4736e703d21af1c2d2d97f1d2d2b2af.jpg

Solihull

Screenshot_20221003-204805_Earth.thumb.jpg.539f6bbfc4178bd311aca5d09bb22b1a.jpg

Same view today - wide handsome high street closed and filled with clutter and mis-matched paving with the inevitable McDonalds to the left of shot. Progress? Bet its a charmer on a wind-swept Saturday night...

And now no place to park the Jaaag. No Rovers to be seen either...

15 hours ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

The two tone one next to the Thames trader box truck looks to be a Clubman's rally car with an Alan Mann style lotus paint job.

Thank you for the info. The car certainly looks a bit worse for wear. The rear bumper could be a bit out of shape. The rear reversing lamp is obviously what would be used in on a rally car. The rear badging under the Cortina script looks like is is the same a the twin-cam badging used for Mk2 Cortinas.

The lorry is Essex reg with OO

4 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

Shows how many really old cars soldiered on right into the 1950's and beyond - mostly then driven off the road by the introduction of the MoT for the first time.

The Rolls looks a beauty and is highly likely to survive.

It was quite hard to buy a new car in the first few years after the war, as most were being exported & customers often had to have a good reason for needing a new car, normally needing it for work.  The alternative was to keep an older car on the road, with a bit of make do & mend.