Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

On 12/09/2022 at 12:39, martc said:

^^^^ My first thought was 'local beer for local people', so it could be Bolton, or somewhere very near. Looking at the car's reg numbers doesn't help, the A30 or 35 (UXA26) is from that there London and the Angle box behind -           185 (then either O or D or C)ED is Liverpool (Warrington) - not a million miles away. Can't make any more out, Bolton would be BN.

I had a look for Magee's Bridge in Bolton, which I guess is a railway bridge - nuffink. And looking at the course of the railway lines in Bolton they all appear to go under bridges, not over...

But I did find some interesting B&W shots of Bolton...

image.thumb.png.ee1f40cb1c934721b6e7540cccb18a98.png

'Room on the back for one more'  'Cheeky sod it's only a year old' 'Sorry, come back next year'

image.thumb.png.49024a402af1f6611caa626e2ff0135b.png

image.thumb.png.f33890abb67fbb2031ca00daa89fbef0.png

image.thumb.png.ab42f0b33fcae10e57800ec008ab4672.png

Trinity St Railway Station.

image.thumb.png.a9f12779a90275e7f351b219f2acd4af.png

image.thumb.png.837ec37483136e1d7ca6a30685123100.png

image.thumb.png.b4bc7c79e75a9db4da0fdc130da3cf91.png

These three are 'Views from the top of the Bolton Institute of Technology, 1976'.

Nice mk3 Cortina in 3rd pic . Looks like a GT.

12 hours ago, High Jetter said:

I think it's too long for that. My guess is A50/A55 pickup with a tilt on the back, but the swage line makes me unsure. @barrett?

It's as big as a P6 so not a small vehicle. My guess is a coachbuilt hearse given the very upright shape of the rear end, possibly 'customised' with a funny-shaped rear window, but it's a tiny pic and I really can't see much...

16 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

What is that road like today? I was in Norway in 2019 and the roads seemed very narrow off the main roads and I’m used to Scottish and North of England country roads.

This is how the road looks today.

443499137_Screenshot2022-09-1808_05_42.thumb.png.c9fd35b1389f882d48c25385491ee37c.png

And the roads here are often bad and narrow, it has always been like that, it is known that when the Germans arrived in 1940, they were horrified by the Norwegian road standard. And they built a lot of roads in the 5 years they were here. A good reason why Norway is so rich is that the state does not spend money, after many decades and countless people who have been killed and maimed, they have finally started building a new main road west from Kristiansand (E39). This was at least 30 years too late and when construction started, the whining came from the green party as usual who don't understand why people drive cars and why trucks exist and think it's perfectly fine that people are being killed.

Sorry for slightly derailing the thread and for complaining. I used to live in the area where that road is located (E39) and so does most of the family, so it affects us quite a bit. I had an apprentice from the local plumber over there one day at the last place I lived over there and that same evening he was killed on this road just 19 years old.

2 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

This is how the road looks today.

443499137_Screenshot2022-09-1808_05_42.thumb.png.c9fd35b1389f882d48c25385491ee37c.png

And the roads here are often bad and narrow, it has always been like that, it is known that when the Germans arrived in 1940, they were horrified by the Norwegian road standard. And they built a lot of roads in the 5 years they were here. A good reason why Norway is so rich is that the state does not spend money, after many decades and countless people who have been killed and maimed, they have finally started building a new main road west from Kristaiansand (E39). This was at least 30 years too late and when construction started, the whining came from the green party as usual who don't understand why people drive cars and why trucks exist and think it's perfectly fine that people are being killed.

Sorry for slightly derailing the thread and for complaining. I used to live in the area where that road is located (E39) and so does most of the family, so it affects us quite a bit. I had an apprentice from the local plumber over there one day at the last place I lived over there and that same evening he was killed on this road just 19 years old.

Also there were hundreds of tunnels (I stayed near Bergen),, in which the lighting was very variable even on the main roads. Some on the back roads were unlit with jagged rock walls.

6 hours ago, Andrew353w said:

Round the back of Euston Railway Station! 

It's the vaults to St. Pancras Station on Midland Road - a tour-de-force example of Victorian engineering - the railway terminus was set 6m above street level supported on cast-iron piers and the underneath was warehousing accessed from platform level and out through these arches.

The refurbished station now uses the vaults for access to the platforms - hence they are blocked-off.

The train-shed and railway is 1868 - the Gothic brick arches as seen are slightly  later - 1873 designed by George Gilbert Scott and added as a skin to the station at the same time as the big hotel out front.

If you have not been it is all worth a visit.

Screenshot_20220920-221935_Earth.jpg