Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

On 7/2/2022 at 7:54 AM, Remspoor said:

londonbridge.thumb.jpg.bee5a29ef4589f817a8e219468426537.jpg

That's superb. The modern day London Bridge bears no resemblance whatsoever to the one I knew as a youth when I started travelling about the place, but this picture bears no resemblance to the one I remember either. It has undergone (at least) two total rebuilds over the years which must be unusual for a major London terminus as most, whilst maybe being refurbed, would still be recognisable to any Victorian time traveller arriving today. 

9 hours ago, martc said:

Yeah, OK, fair point, Euston is another exception and of course is now having another major rebuild. But Waterloo, Victoria, Kings Cross, St Pancras, Paddington are all basically the same. Liverpool Street has changed quite drastically, the platforms have been evened up, and the concourse is totally different but the walls and roof are the same so the basic bones are still there. Charing Cross, the frontage is original but inside is totally different with that office block built over the platforms. And Cannon Street has changed out of all recognition but that was never really a major terminus, it is only really used in the Peaks. 

15 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Yeah, OK, fair point, Euston is another exception and of course is now having another major rebuild. But Waterloo, Victoria, Kings Cross, St Pancras, Paddington are all basically the same. Liverpool Street has changed quite drastically, the platforms have been evened up, and the concourse is totally different but the walls and roof are the same so the basic bones are still there. Charing Cross, the frontage is original but inside is totally different with that office block built over the platforms. And Cannon Street has changed out of all recognition but that was never really a major terminus, it is only really used in the Peaks. 

My Dad used to get a bit angry about the archway at Euston being pulled down.  At least the gates were saved & are now one display at York.

I heard the rebuilt station was going to have a shopping centre built around it like Birmingham New Street but it was never completed.  I assume HS2 will make use of it.

I don't know what the final plans are for Euston now, l've lost interest. I know they are adding five or six new platforms to the west side of the station for HS2 but I haven't been there for about 5 years. Last I heard they had found a significant amount of the old Doric Arch dumped in the river Lea somewhere up Walthamstow way and there were plans to rebuild it but I don't know where they would put it, I can't imagine they would want it actually at Euston. 

On 7/4/2022 at 7:17 AM, Remspoor said:

woolarding.thumb.jpg.cb6b4eeac1201354121d2a04403c8434.jpg

Hey; I don't care who you are, get your muddy boots off my car!

That's the King Edward VIII Buick limousine. The custom body was Canadian - designed and built by the McLaughlin Motor Car Company of Oshawa, Ontario, on a stretched 1936 Buick Series 90 chassis, supplied by GM of Canada and powered by a 5.2-liter Buick straight-eight.

After The Abdication, the ex-king, by then Duke of Windsor, left in the car for France. There he married the American divorcee Wallis Simpson, and they took the car on their honeymoon.

Car still survives in private hands. She had a matching car which also survives I think.

Screenshot_20220709-120412_Twitter.jpg.98291edc13d9546fb43e4cebc5ef7c7d.jpg

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desart. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings;
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Percy Shelley - Ozymandias

On 7/9/2022 at 11:49 AM, lesapandre said:

And of course the Jaaaaaaaag has had many later lives - notably...

There are those who think this film is made in the 60's it is so detail perfect.

Not totally...but it was made on a very small budget.

Have seen it many times but the only time at an actual cinema was at a small independent place on holiday in Hebden Bridge. When we left it was absolutely pissing down and we had to drive back over the moor to the place we were staying near Howarth. Seemed very appropriate. 

10 hours ago, Remspoor said:

vivahc.thumb.jpg.5d9319205bcf339922612f56bb5e4824.jpg

I remember the parts man at AC Barnes telling us that when the HC Viva came out, they were selling them so fast that it was only when they did a stock take that they realised they'd lost one.

It had been stolen.  I suspect it was his favourite story.  Great photo. 

1 hour ago, lisbon_road said:

I remember the parts man at AC Barnes telling us that when the HC Viva came out, they were selling them so fast that it was only when they did a stock take that they realised they'd lost one.

It had been stolen.  I suspect it was his favourite story.  Great photo. 

I learnt to drive in one with a school. I owned a HA at the time and later I had an HB. The HC was not the best of the series.

6 hours ago, Yoss said:

Have seen it many times but the only time at an actual cinema was at a small independent place on holiday in Hebden Bridge. When we left it was absolutely pissing down and we had to drive back over the moor to the place we were staying near Howarth. Seemed very appropriate. 

This is one of the best film’s ever and yes I imagine that experience of driving over a moor in pissing down rain after a viewing  made it, bonus points if you were driving a really shitty MK2 Jag and Uncle Monty came too stay for the night!

1 hour ago, bigstraight6 said:

This is one of the best film’s ever and yes I imagine that experience of driving over a moor in pissing down rain after a viewing  made it, bonus points if you were driving a really shitty MK2 Jag and Uncle Monty came too stay for the night!

Sadly just a Škoda Felicia and I would have been very worried if uncle Monty had turned up in the middle of the night.