Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

5 hours ago, ETCHY said:

That type of Cresta is bloody lovely imo, great clean shape, tons better looking than equivalent Zephyr/Zodiac.

The Cresta PB was a lot neater than the PA which went OTT with it's transatlantic looks.  It wasn't in production long before being replaced by the PC, which was OK when it was new but looking dated by the time it was axed in 1972.

9 hours ago, JeeExEll said:

The 2-door Cav was a good looking car.  I can't remember actually seeing any.  I hope some still survive.  Must be extremely rare now.

I don't think they were sold for long, but the equivalent Asconas managed to stay in production.

The cabriolet used the same basic body shell.

14 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

Is that a joke vehicle. How can the 'driver' control it? How wd the steering work? 

It apparently wasn't meant to be funny or anything, but instead was a proposal for a compact taxi in the style of the older horse-drawn Parisian cabs.

https://aventure-citroen-min.forumactif.com/t2915-un-taxi-5-hp-mysterieux

img_4711.jpg

I'd love to see how the steering, pedals  etc work on this, but detailed info appears hard to find..

9 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Interesting how the two photos are taken some time apart as the livery is differing - but the same two slightly worried looking occupants are there. There was probably some kind of rod-operated steering connection - frightening.

It wouldn't have rear-wheel steering, would it? it would therefore have a much smaller turning circle, so ideal for a taxi. Drivers of the old horse drawn cabs were positioned behind the passengers, so maybe the design was based on that idea.

10 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Is that a joke vehicle. How can the 'driver' control it? How wd the steering work? 

It could have a long chain drive running down the rear bulkhead which could then operate a long steering column under the floor. That's how I'd do it if I was given that picture and told to make it work.

The throttle linkage might* have a bit of play in it too. 

17 minutes ago, Andrew353w said:

It wouldn't have rear-wheel steering, would it? it would therefore have a much smaller turning circle, so ideal for a taxi. Drivers of the old horse drawn cabs were positioned behind the passengers, so maybe the design was based on that idea.

It seems to be based on the 5cv chassis so I think rear wheel steering is unlikely.  As Yoss says the steering is possible, I was thinking much the same.   The pedals would require quite a lot of linkage  but it's not so hard if you think about it.   Daft idea though.  

5CV CUTAWAY.jpg

5cv chassis.jpg

10 hours ago, D.E said:

It apparently wasn't meant to be funny or anything, but instead was a proposal for a compact taxi in the style of the older horse-drawn Parisian cabs.

https://aventure-citroen-min.forumactif.com/t2915-un-taxi-5-hp-mysterieux

img_4711.jpg

I'd love to see how the steering, pedals  etc work on this, but detailed info appears hard to find..

That is perhaps because the internet  was not used much then😄

14 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

It seems to be based on the 5cv chassis so I think rear wheel steering is unlikely.  As Yoss says the steering is possible, I was thinking much the same.   The pedals would require quite a lot of linkage  but it's not so hard if you think about it.   Daft idea though.  

5CV CUTAWAY.jpg

Daft idea you say, it's french so perfectly logical to them.

9 minutes ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

Daft idea you say, it's french so perfectly logical to them.

I do actually like French stuff and have 2 French cars, but they are a nation of poseurs and that's an example.  See also various other Citroen inventions.  

44 minutes ago, D.E said:

I was told it had all been knocked down as they were substandard. I did not check that information.