Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

image.png.7f401b0e7463026ee8f3c78c9ed33d48.png

Mr Earp in his 60hp Thames, at Brooklands in December 1907. Made by the Thames Ironworks, who's main business was shipbuilding. They diversified into the motor industry but no-one told the draughtsmen. More info here  - https://classiccarmag.net/vanished-vehicles-part-6/

This racing car was actually quite successful, in the hands of Mr Earp it broke several records.

3 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Thames Ironworks was in London sited in the east industrial  area by where the River Lea flowed into the Thames. I knew there was shipbuilding but did not realise they made cars there too.

I wonder if any 'Thames' cars survive?

image.png.14b9aec1701e5fe26f4e915482b5ed8f.png

There's at least one of their buses still in existance - strangely it's in the Louwman Museuem in the Netherlands - see here https://www.louwmanmuseum.nl/auto/thames-48-hp-motor-stage-coach/ 

Translation -

'This Thames Motor Stage Coach strongly resembles a carriage, but in this case that is the intention.

The five-litre six-cylinder engine has even been placed far forward to approach the idea of a coach as closely as possible. The combination of small front wheels and large rear wheels should reflect that same idea.

It is the only surviving example of a fleet of petrol-powered coaches built for Motor Coaches Limited. The vehicles were used at the time to take people to and from the horse races at Ascot and Epsom, all within a 100-mile circle around London. Nine people can sit inside, sixteen on the roof.

The bus was made by The Thames Ironworks, Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd., founded in 1857. In the mid-nineteenth century it was one of the most important British shipyards. In 1902 the company started producing steam trucks as a sideline and in 1906 also other motor vehicles.

The construction of this 'stage coach' is by body builder Thrupp & Maberly, who will later also build bodies for luxury cars such as Rolls-Royce and Mercedes-Benz.'

8 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Shaftsbury  Avenue London - the bus is heading towards Piccadilly Circus. It's  some time between 7th April 1954 – 7th May 1955 when the play 'Hippo Dancing' was on at the Lyric.

14 bus route still going along there. 

The Hippos have unfortunately passed away.

1 hour ago, ETCHY said:

What a brilliant image.
Somehow conjure's up perfectly 1950's Britain on a cold evening & folk on their way home from work.

I find the lighting on the vehicles a bit odd.

The Ford sit up and beg has headlights lit, even though it is parked against the kerb.

The Austin has no lights at all.

The bus only has sidelights on. It was usual to drive in a lit up area on sidelights. It is still lawfully permitted these days.

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/news/do-you-know-the-rules-on-your-car-lights/

you can legally just use your sidelights at night if you're driving under 30mph in a well-lit area

18 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

The Ford sit up and beg has headlights lit, even though it is parked against the kerb.

The bus only has sidelights on. It was usual to drive in a lit up area on sidelights. It is still lawfully permitted these days.

The Driver of the Ford is still in the car, maybe either just parked or just going going . what first noticed was how bright the headlights are maybe it's because of the black + white picture.  I had one and the 6v lighting was as dull as  sh*t.

On 1/14/2022 at 3:05 AM, Metal Guru said:

Isn’t there two Ford Pops ( light colour between the lorries on the right and a van with ladders on the left), which would make it 1953 or later. 

LOOKS TO BE A LOTUS  ELAN ( RED + WHITE) in front of the green tent.... I would say pic is 10 years on at least  1968ish

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

A lot of drivers years ago didn't use lights if they didn't need to, I recall articles in old magazines saying that folk should use lights in fog ! I think a lot maybe due to 6v electrics & dynamo's maybe thought they were running their battery down, so would use sidelights or if in a relatively well lit town centre no lights not all.

I just love these posts! I'm also a fan of 1960's black and white crime films, mostly "B" movies, cheaply made by studios in and around south London. These feature some lovely street scenes and some interesting cars, which can often be viewed on the "Reelstreets" website: reelstreets.com  Attached are a couple of shots from a 1961 film, entitled "Freedom to Die" which was mainly filmed in Dublin. The film-makers seem to have liked early very Skodas; one's a 440 and the other an early Octavia.  

222DD86E-E0FF-46FE-928F-EECB25BF7D8E_4_5005_c.jpeg

8C0B760B-D347-43C6-B81C-D435B7DC8D0E_4_5005_c.jpeg

On 1/22/2022 at 7:51 PM, Remspoor said:

I find it incredibly strange that people drive in built-up areas with headlamps on. I never do it, it's completely pointless, and borderline dangerous given how much dazzle and glare you get from modern headlamps. And it's literally the only purpose of having sidelights fitted to cars, for town driving. Then again, half the people on the road apparently can't even drive down a dual carriageway without using main beam. Or anywhere without fog lamps.

The highway code is not clear on the use of headlights or not.

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/lighting-requirements.html

You MUST

ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise

use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified

use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226).

later it says

You should also

use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen