Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

You wouldn't fit over-sink tanks in a house these days, obv, but they're still fine for use in shop customer toilets or on farms, in workshops, etc.  It's all they had at the time and they were glad of it.  Progress.

'Ooh I remember when we had to bath in a puddle by 't'side of the road.

52 minutes ago, JeeExEll said:

LGWQv1d.jpg

vgVwl2Y.jpg

lV7w0sM.jpg

DElg4Eb.jpg

KJaCdEg.jpg

8xK7xFo.jpg

sseX0vh.jpg

amyRTq4.jpg

Truck looks American but I think it may be a Bedford.

bPagKxU.jpg

A2HjsxJ.jpg

Qv79KCG.jpg

There's still a petrol-station there.

2mzDCSG.jpg

Humber Imperial, Jag 420 and big Vauxhall point towards 'bosses cars' - given the era probably owned by those associated with the cloth/clothing trade that was still (just) hanging on in Lancashire at the time...The body shape on the Bedford is sometimes known as a gown-van, so again possibly ragtrade connected.

Of all the cars to survive I would bet on the Minor to still be about. The P4 Rover has gone - those lasted really well, so I expect it was a worn engine and general indifference that condemned it. I have not checked all the regs...

If you want to get an impression of the North prior to the closure of the mills Billy Liar is a great movie...it saw the end of an era and shows Bradford in the early 60's.

41 minutes ago, JeeExEll said:

You wouldn't fit over-sink tanks in a house these days, obv, but they're still fine for use in shop customer toilets or on farms, in workshops, etc.  It's all they had at the time and they were glad of it.  Progress.

'Ooh I remember when we had to bath in a puddle by 't'side of the road'.

A puddle by the side of the road?  Ooh, you posh git!  If we wanted to wash, we had to wait for the dog to have a wee!

6 hours ago, JeeExEll said:

CFyQFST.jpg

0alsB1j.jpg

85yHG2M.jpg

et07NAm.jpg

sqvwRBm.jpg

BFHImcQ.jpg

bi2kc24.jpg

'Could I have a drive out in the Consul at the back please?'.

I bet those Minis had no subframes left...the Wolsely is getting some 'rectification' (note the newspaper and polisher on the floor) and the A35 has had a duo-tone blow-over to hide something (paint still all over tyre)...massive Jag 420G's were virtually unsaleable given their size and MPG...our neighbour had one about 1969 as a permanent garden ornament, was probably only about 6 years old at the time. 

I went off on a Google images tangent after searching one of JeeExEll`s recent pics, eventually tripped over this one, seemingly featuring brand new BL stuff awaiting distribution, I then re-image searched this pic to see if there was a better resolution picture anywhere, for Google to then identify it as "1970s car scrap yard" 😐

Cynical Google, very cynical..

Martin-Gurdon-cars-sixties-seventies-character-Estate-car-named-desire-author-860950.jpg

On 8/7/2021 at 7:40 PM, JeeExEll said:

A nice old bloke who lived near us was a house-painter and had one of these for years in the 80s, a 1256 with the back seat permanently down.  You can imagine the state of the interior.

j2qmbPz.jpg

I purchased an ex-builder Viva HC estate as an engine donor for the HB I was doing up (think it was KEA24K), it was 12 different shades of red with grey & white primer applied over various badly filled rusty bits. Sounds like the one you describe. Was £40 with tax & ticket from a bloke in Stamford Hill.. Pretty sure I`ve still got assorted bits of it buried in the garage.

2 hours ago, JeeExEll said:

Last few pics, unless more appear.

nRPdAzl.jpg

D7EbZmx.jpg

7EYpIKh.jpg

YjBWMJ7.jpg

YfTObOA.jpg

Bloke enjoying himself on a scooter.. And why not.

The Lambretta  series 3 Li150 SLG25D lasted until 1983. Seventeen years of service from an Italian scooter would have been a pretty impressive innings at the time, I'd have thought.

1 hour ago, uk_senator said:

I went off on a Google images tangent after searching one of JeeExEll`s recent pics, eventually tripped over this one, seemingly featuring brand new BL stuff awaiting distribution, I then re-image searched this pic to see if there was a better resolution picture anywhere, for Google to then identify it as "1970s car scrap yard" 😐

Cynical Google, very cynical..

Martin-Gurdon-cars-sixties-seventies-character-Estate-car-named-desire-author-860950.jpg

I think some of these may be part-finished vehicles. Due to component supplier strike action and other production line woes BLMC ended up with a lot incomplete vehicles at one time or another.

I remember seeing a clip of a news report from the 1970s mentioning that a days production had to leave the factory without windscreen wiper motors as Lucas were on strike & none could be supplied.

As for the above photos, it looks like the road once had tram or trolleybus wires on it from the design of the lampposts.

14 hours ago, JeeExEll said:

amyRTq4.jpg

Truck looks American but I think it may be a Bedford.

It's a Bedford TJ - all British but influenced by the parent company, GM, USA designs.

The TJ had an extraordinarily long life starting in 1958, the last one was made in 1998* (by Bedfords successor AWD), although sales in the UK stopped in 1975 they were very popular abroad, particularly in Africa. Many UK sales went to the GPO. 500,000 were made.

*when AWD decided to stop building them Caterpillar wanted to continue but safety concerns put the kibosh on that.

image.png.25476d069e5b0663eb9a4f36a9260b60.png

A brochure cover from 1988