Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

5 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

would be rude not too now wouldn't it @Yoss :) 

RF017739.thumb.jpeg.a3d95c76a57b036c1a2c54f1e8929962.jpeg

Shame I can't quite see the garage code on that. It was carrying that CIS advert right til the end of its London days in 1987 but it was a Norwood bus then. But the BHS ads on the front look much older and the 9 was run by so many garages over the years. I know it was new to Victoria (GM) and finished at Norwood (N) and I think it was at Catford (TL) before it's last overhaul in 1984 but that would never have run the 9. I have its history upstairs but I'll have to have a look tomorrow now as I wouldn't dare wake Mrs Yoss up now. 

30 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Shame I can't quite see the garage code on that. It was carrying that CIS advert right til the end of its London days in 1987 but it was a Norwood bus then. But the BHS ads on the front look much older and the 9 was run by so many garages over the years. I know it was new to Victoria (GM) and finished at Norwood (N) and I think it was at Catford (TL) before it's last overhaul in 1984 but that would never have run the 9. I have its history upstairs but I'll have to have a look tomorrow now as I wouldn't dare wake Mrs Yoss up now. 

countrybus.org will have a good potted history I imagine :) 

but for what its worth I pinched the photo from here

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=18898&search=Mansfield+District%2C+ex+B&category_id=2&page=169

12 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

The above site is a bit vague it only mentions what I already knew. But I'm sure it was a Dalston bus for a while and the 9A was a Sunday only route from Mortlake to Aldgate run by Mortlake and Dalston garages from about 1971 to 1981 so my money is in it being late 70s with those ads. It was certainly never a Mortlake bus, I would have remembered that, that's a garage I watched slowly die.

Dalston to Aldgate would be quite a short garage run especially on a Sunday morning. 

I've just looked up Dalston garage as I don't remember it. It was closed in 1981 which would explain why but it really was very close to where you are now. In Shrubland Road just up Queensbridge Road. If only... etc. 

On 7/18/2021 at 7:43 PM, martc said:

image.png.2a67366654e9690aea8f6c1c892aca2f.png

Apparently this happened somewhere in Australia, some time in the past. Those look like ex army Hardly Dangerouses so it could be in the late '40's when they were cheaper than horses.

The answer to the question: "What did the Romans ever do for us?"

Funny you should say that...Australia is a Roman derived name. The Latin word australis, which means 'southern'  was first used over a thousand years ago in the name of an imaginary land called Terra Australis Incognito–the Unknown Southern Land...

Those Roman's they get everywhere.

Skåbu Gudbrandsdalen Norway

Kan være et bilde av utendørs

Racing Norway 1930s

Kan være et bilde av bil og vei

Transport of steam boiler Trondheim Norway 1944. Both the front trucks tow the rear one. Due to the combination of 4 years of war with poor maintenance and wood gas generator, the trucks probably had little engine power left so this was necessary. They also drive on chains on the rear wheels which may be due to worn out tires.

Kan være et bilde av en eller flere personer, folk som står og vei

400 unsold Chrysler cars...who'd imagine...the really difficult to shift one's too like the 10yo design Imp and the 180.

Any colour you like - they are all unwanted. Who'd have been a Chrysler salesman. 

By this time the Imp was just about the cheapest UK made car to shift them.

The Simca was a pretty old design by then too.

I watched this again at the weekend for the first time in at least a decade, probably more. It was always one of my favourite films but I wondered, having not seen it in so long wether I was remembering it through Rose tinted glasses. I needn't have worried, its still superb. 

helldrivers3.thumb.jpg.0b8ee7e5c7ef7c596e2188aedf83df4a.jpg

Hell-Drivers-002-1024x538.thumb.jpg.326f110f7837c10759919dc462becbfc.jpg

hell_drivers_dump_trucks_grande.jpg.5b8d49a81c8343f6bb08e6061a683ad1.jpg

Obviously a low budget film and they couldn't afford any special effects so the first time you see the lorries speeded up you do laugh for the wrong reasons but you sort of get used to it. 

i098689.thumb.jpg.b8bfa87996f186de50d2e92867180c8f.jpg

1217344014_540x360(1).jpg.a946156bdf008b9ca9560bc1e19cfdee.jpg

And what a cast. At the time none of them were particularly big names, but within ten years we have the best James Bond, the first Doctor Who, The Prisoner, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., Cowley from The Professionals... and whatever Sid James became, he just played Sid in whatever he was in. Still a fabulous film. Have a Sid James - Sean Connery face off. 

eb6fb1e6dc03f2e0b4579cec6f57386b.thumb.jpg.d4bfe748bc39307fdd6d628988dc4b8c.jpg

This isn't quite black and white but I couldn't find a b/w poster.

hell_drivers_special_edition_uk_dvd.jpg.9aa806f82819b3ba3bdfe314d75af12e.jpg

They missed Gordon Jackson off that list.