Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

image.png.41ebbfbf263e6ece9c00015e7a2746df.png

Eric Fernihough, British motorcycle racer.

image.png.77368a7a9ba7755af73abd9601d7cd1f.png

In 1935, riding a Brough Superior, he improved the lap record for the Brooklands circuit, one of the fastest tracks of the time, raising it to 123.58 miles per hour (198.88 km/h). In 1936 he held the motorcycle landspeed record for solo motorcycles, over the flying mile, at a speed of 163.82 miles per hour (263.64 km/h). All carried out wearing the most ridiculous head gear ever.

3 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Construction of hydrohydroelectric dams Tokke Norway. Work began in 1956 and began producing electricity in the 1960s and was completed in 1987. 23 workers lost their lives during construction.

image.thumb.png.7d78099f05739443f3c4459cd70b67e2.png

Sd.Kfz 8 I think, presumably left behind by the Wehrmacht.

7 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Sd.Kfz 8 I think, presumably left behind by the Wehrmacht.

I was curious if anyone would notice this. And yes I also believe that this is one of these. Amazing and this is one of my favorite finds. I wonder what happened to this considering that it was worthless at this time and spare parts were impossible to get. So i think this did not survive the construction. And since it was so remote it may still be up there,  at the bottom of a lake or under a rockfill.

There were hundreds of thousands of germans in Norway on VE Day, so there would have been a lot of hardware just abandoned afterwards; the govt would have had its hands full collecting and destroying armoured vehicles, weapons and ammo/explosives, general purpose vehicles like the one above were probably just written off and left for locals to deal with.

Yes, I am very familiar with Norwegian war history and its aftermath. But vehicles like these I have until now perceived that they were all scrapped due to limited civilian use. So therefore this one surprises me. And we had fairly organized handling of German vehicles most of which were sold by the state and some given to owners of seized vehicles during the war as compensation.

Tell me if this is unwanted content here and I will not do more. But if you want to understand the pictures, you have to know the story behind them.

This is a late 30s Scania bus that was nicknamed the blood bus after an incident in April 1940. The driver came to work one morning to be met by German soldiers and was forced to transport German soldiers. The bus ended up as the first vehicle in the invasion of an area south east of Oslo. When it came around a bend with the rock wall on the right side and the river on the other, there was a roadblock. When the bus stopped, a hidden Norwegian defense position on the other side of the river opened fire. Of the more than 50 people on the bus, only the driver survived thanks to the fact that the bus was right-hand drive and the engine was between the front seats so he hid behind it. The bus was after this patched together and was in service until the mid 50s when it was scrapped.  The driver stopped driving the bus after this and became a carpenter instead.

<b>BLODBUSSEN:</b> Den kaprede rutebussen med tyske soldater ble pepret av kuler fra de norske soldatene da den ankom Fossum bro 12. april 1940. Den norske sjåføren overlevde mirakuløst. Trolig ble han reddet av at rattet satt på høyre side, og at han kunne kaste seg i dekning bak motorkassa.

<b>SEVERDIGHET:</b> Mange nysgjerrige tok turen for å se på den sønderskutte bussen, som ble trukket lenger opp i veien noen dager etter kampene. Senere ble den satt i drift igjen. 

2 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Yes, I am very familiar with Norwegian war history and its aftermath. But vehicles like these I have until now perceived that they were all scrapped due to limited civilian use. So therefore this one surprises me. And we had fairly organized handling of German vehicles most of which were sold by the state and some given to owners of seized vehicles during the war as compensation.

You'd have to like things with iron crosses on the side a lot to use one recreationally for sure, not a lot of that in Norway I expect immediately post-war, plus a 15 tonne halftrack with an 8 litre petrol V12 isn't exactly economical or easy to store!