Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

image.png.8bd4b073e75002057c7671c6fbf39b46.png

The Railton Special sans body work. Powered by two supercharged Napier Lion W12 engines. It was the first ground vehicle to break 400 mph in a measured test. On 16 September 1947 John Cobb averaged 394.19 mph (385.6mph & 403.1mph) over the measured mile in both directions to take the world land speed record.

Getting ready...

image.png.14ca6536b4166df1947bbe411e59c601.png

Nearly there...

image.png.0841d6cbcdcc87e62b744ea706c7aeb9.png

Go...!

image.png.b64fc6f8dec8ef6be91983a9c415d979.png

http://claspgarage.blogspot.com/2013/09/railton-mobil-special.html

On 20/02/2021 at 12:51, JeeExEll said:

XtYKWKS.jpg

Check out the rusty sill.

Chickenwire + glassfibre + brushed on black underseal = sorted m8.

Just don't pull too hard on the seatbelt if you want to wear it.

Late registration too, one of the last on a K-plate.  What a cool old thing, I'd lose the roof air-horn though.

As a child I remember our local butcher having one.

Chicken wire in the sills? Luxury. My 16 was newspaper plus fibreglass and underseal, before they *had* to be replaced.

See also: Mk. II Cortina, Mk. IV Zephyr/Zodiac...

As a kid I remember seeing someone's car - I don't think it was a Ford (BICBW) at a junction visible from my bedroom window and it had indeed come to a halt with the suspension tops peering up at the sky, much to the owner's embarrassment...

24 Cranbourn Street is the address of https://www.spaghettihouse.co.uk/restaurants/cranbourn-street

image.png.2ee7be0d8669fef426a799bacad02134.png

Who’s in control here? Jawa produced a dual-control trainer motorcycle in 1949, and was probably the only manufacturer to build such a machine. Because, who wants to learn to ride with a passenger hung way out past the rear axle? But Jawa claimed a newbie could learn to ride in 30 minutes. Instructor Bill Hynes demonstrates to Vivian Kennedy. Needs some air in the front tyre.

image.png.a593aa5a1058a370df5df09d800f32f0.png

Micklefield Estate, High Wycombe, 1983.

Compare and contrast.

32 minutes ago, martc said:

Who’s in control here? Jawa produced a dual-control trainer motorcycle in 1949, and was probably the only manufacturer to build such a machine.

I saw a few dual control trainer bikes in Paris years ago, never seen them anywhere else - are they still a thing?  IIRC the rear bars on those were not connected to the steering though.

Going very fast indeed is always cool but it was at its best when collars, ties and sensible footwear was involved. Sure we can all love the new stuff but you just wish they would ditch the branded polo shirts and go back to stout brogues.

eyston-thunderbolt-1937-bonneville.jpg

Easily the best looking wheels ever fitted to an LSR car.

800wm

Crikey, it was big.

eyston-thunderbolt-construction-top.jpg

And just because I didn't know much about this car, here is an effort from the Germans. Note the rather stout transmission. Thunderbolt's gearbox was something again but decent pictures of it are hard to come by.

f7ndLaO.jpg

16 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

I saw a few dual control trainer bikes in Paris years ago, never seen them anywhere else - are they still a thing?  IIRC the rear bars on those were not connected to the steering though.

Can't find anything on the Parisan dual control bikes, but the crazy Czechs are still at it - soz not B&W - https://www.johns-blog.com/?p=591

image.png.d9de1240720164eb742556b1d91151bd.pngimage.png.31389e4662baf3113ecb194e5509ebe3.png

To appease the B&W gods, here's another pic of the Jawa

image.png.270c11422dc0fa0d97ca10ac8bf6f798.png

image.png.9aea87e8dc7b6bd2bac75920b823fa9a.png

'Military Highway Scout Kar (sic)' and its passengers stop for the view at Multnomah Falls, Oregon, USA, 1918.

image.thumb.png.56232bad505bb3790c3e5cab6833a5b1.png

America's first camouflaged automobile has been let loose, and is now on the war path. The inhabitants of the Pacific Coast from Seattle to San Diego swear they are "seeing things." A sheriff who has a record for pinching speeders is out after the camoufleurs who committed "camouflage" to prove that America's automobiles are as chameleon-like while on the war path as those in Europe.           Oakland Tribune, Oct. 28, 1917

W.L. Hughson, of KisselKar fame upon the Pacific Coast, has donated the famous Kissel military scout car, recently used to blaze the "three nation run," to the government department having the new operations of "camouflage" in its charge. A committee of three prominent San Francisco artists will paint this car with color patches, which suggests nothing except the surrounding earth, trees, grain fields, sky, etc., making an exact facsimile of the cars now being used by the allies along the various war fronts                    Motor West, Oct. 15, 1917

Interpreting this I think it may be a civilian who has painted his car to look like an army scout car.