Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

3 hours ago, warch said:

I couldn't find any information on what a Snowtrac weighs, but as they're aluminium bodied I imagine they're quite light, possibly no heavier than the thing towing it (c. 1.4 tons). Mind you I've never seen a trailer like that before, is it ex military? Those girders underneath are a bit peculiar, it looks like it weighs at least a tonne in its own right.

The heaviest thing I've ever shifted with my Land Rover 88 is another Land Rover 88 on a car trailer, north of Bristol to South Shropshire, that was about 2 and half tonnes, which in retrospect probably would have been illegal. I suppose the pleece would turn a blind eye to one of their own doing this in 1970 though.

They weigh two-thirds of bugger all, most of it is aluminium sheet and a beetle engine in the front; if it's more than 15cwt I'd be surprised.

Edit to add; the empty weight is listed in the manual as 1150kg, which seems quite heavy for what it is but there you go. The book capacity for a series LR and a braked trailer is 2 tonnes, but I suspect that is limited by the crappy brakes as the towing limit with a trailer with coupled brakes(like an HGV) is 3.5 tonnes

6 minutes ago, warch said:

Hz5up1q.jpg

I found a piccy of a GP0 Land Rover towing a Sno Trac in 1965. I now really want a Sno Trac, might only use it one day every ten years but god I'd look cool on that one day. 

Matchbox/Lesney did a cool model of a Sno Trac if I recall, might keep you going until you get the real thing :)

S4dnQv2.jpg

Pininfarina design proposal for the Morris ADO28, which became the Marina.

Looks a bit like what a Fiat 131 would have looked like had one appeared in Trumpton.

Pininfarinamarina.  An opportunity lost.  That was meant to be  :-)

Sadly things took a different direction and it didn't happen, but what a fantastic bootlid badge that would have been - in chrome script right across the bootlid.

On 2/18/2021 at 6:00 PM, Andrew353w said:

Brilliant! A Daf 33 estate car! These were never sold in the U.K., though.

Actually it is a van:  A bestel. Some had no side windows some had one side window others had two.

Maybe something like this would be classed as an estate car?

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/1b/63/a4/1b63a401178dd7c3298fbad56cdb935e.jpg

18 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

Actually it is a van:  A bestel. Some had no side windows some had one side window others had two.

Maybe something like this would be classed as an estate car?

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/1b/63/a4/1b63a401178dd7c3298fbad56cdb935e.jpg

Blimey, 40+ years of being in and around Dafs and I've never seen this before! The rear light clusters are from an early 750cc Daf, but beyond that I've no idea! Any more information ? Please PM me!