Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

On 1/27/2021 at 6:57 AM, martc said:

image.png.a73f0220373d997d2634104967bedeb8.png

'A number 9 bus driver having a drink with a friend at the end of his route. London, 1980s'.

Are bus drivers in that there London as well turned out nowadays?

Posh bird, drinking Perrier in the 80s; that's like gargling San Pellegrino these days. 

39 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Do you know the background to this photo? Occasionally you see a snapshot in time and wish you knew more about! Amazing photo. 

This is the scene today - without the benefit of a tele lens.   Castle completely hidden by trees, but you can make out the church tower and Clee HIll.

Screenshot 2021-02-15 225157.png

16 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

This is the scene today - without the benefit of a tele lens.   Castle completely hidden by trees, but you can make out the church tower and Clee HIll.

Screenshot 2021-02-15 225157.png

Not often you can say this but Whitcliffe and Ludlow Castle do look a lot nicer without all of that vegetation in the way. I did an excavation at Ludlow Castle slightly over a year ago, very interesting.

2 hours ago, Rab said:

11576123875_26dab0d7e5_b.jpg

That doesn't look at all unstable*.

5 hours ago, Asimo said:

Loving the 'finger in the dirt' graffito on the back door.

17 hours ago, Rab said:

11576123875_26dab0d7e5_b.jpg

I couldn't find any information on what a Snowtrac weighs, but as they're aluminium bodied I imagine they're quite light, possibly no heavier than the thing towing it (c. 1.4 tons). Mind you I've never seen a trailer like that before, is it ex military? Those girders underneath are a bit peculiar, it looks like it weighs at least a tonne in its own right.

The heaviest thing I've ever shifted with my Land Rover 88 is another Land Rover 88 on a car trailer, north of Bristol to South Shropshire, that was about 2 and half tonnes, which in retrospect probably would have been illegal. I suppose the pleece would turn a blind eye to one of their own doing this in 1970 though.

1 hour ago, Asimo said:

Are those things under the trailer sledge-runners, so it will still work as a trailer in deep snow?

Perhaps it became a sledge once you removed the wheels, so it could be towed behind the Sno Trac. I’ve seen something similar in other photos. The runners look a bit wide though.