Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

45 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

6c87nGj9.jpg

RNpDU81X.jpg

8RDrEnTM.jpg

Top shot is of Duff Morgan & Vermont on Grapes Hill in Norwich. Here's a mouth watering inside shot. 811649140_DuffMorganandVermontLtdNorwich1963image02.jpg.88de585f93f63d46b6d374a7c6f0ab9c.jpg They later moved over to Citroen and are still about. The Company was founded jointy by Commander Oliver Locker-Lampson who founded the 'Blue Shirts' an anti-fascist organisation, and who sheltered Albert Einstein in a hut near his Estate in North Norfolk with his game keeper and two heavily armed young female assistants. medium_1983_5236_C04177.jpg.c34e40a7d85f2dfa29f52a08cbc2b5b2.jpgThe road behind the garage is Earlham Road and a hundred yards or so further down was the site of this famous occurence (couldn't find a B&W shot). 1359521801_Thescienceofsinkholes_Whydoesthegroundopenup_.thumb.png.45c7609e19e69b69558631bcbccb1b5a.png

Factoids! 

2 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

t6q2UeuG.jpg

SXdzoSPr.jpg

I wonder what the story on these two Rover shots?

First looks like some modifications to the front bumper area. The trailer looks like an ex army one. High ground clearance and large wheels. Intrigued to know how that was coupled up to the car.

The second one looks like someone installed  SAAB headlamps.

30 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

First looks like some modifications to the front bumper area. The trailer looks like an ex army one. High ground clearance and large wheels. Intrigued to know how that was coupled up to the car.

Rover development vehicles, apparently just back from brake tests https://www.aronline.co.uk/concepts-and-prototypes/rover-p7/

image.png.f8456c7b3cb88aba69d65ea224d0867a.png

Lenny 'King Kong' Reed worked for Beck (an Indian motorcycle dealer) in Harlem, NYC, on 138th Street, before the Beck Warehouse moved to Melville, Long Island. 'King Kong' was a parts man and raced his Indian Motorcycle at the weekend. He raced as an 'Independent' through the 1940s and 1950s, since the AMA did not allow African Americans to join during that time.

image.png.2be971ca8f77c4bd285df2a1b0d4fc60.pngimage.png.286a36a051416dfaab4872a60ed75304.png

Saratov, Russia. The first car in Saratov was bought by  Count Anatoly Nesselrode from an exhibiton in Paris, in 1900. It was driven by belts, one snapped and caused the first road accident in Sartov when the out of control car crashed into a tree. Anyhow, this didn't put the people of Saratov off, this building from 1880, originally a glass factory then a mirror factory was turned into Saratov's first garage in 1914 and an enormous bas relief frieze was added to make sure people knew about it. After the revolution it became an electrical shop (as above), it's still there now as a supermarket.

Thump-drooone-thump-drooone-thump-drooone...

ETA; thinking about it it was more: thump-drrrrr-thump-drrrrr-thump-drrrrr-thump-drrrrr... Must work on my onomatopoeia.

Nostalgia; driving home from visiting relatives you could tell you were getting nearer Glasgow as that bloody noise started up from the shitey concrete section of the M74.

On 2/2/2021 at 3:15 PM, Remspoor said:

I reckon that’s a Brockhouse trailer, manufactured for Rover as an accessory for their well known range of cross country vehicles. I think they came with pin type or ball type attachments so could be used behind a car.

Iirc they were a bit shit, being small, heavy and prone to rotting out. Nothing like a Land-Rover then....

image.png.c191b841cdf624968000a7bc182be198.png

Komsomol member N.F. Kovshar works on children's toy trucks. Consumer goods workshop of the "Moscow Small Car Plant" (MZMA). Photo by Valentin Khukhlaev, USSR, 1954. I don't need to remind you that MZMA made the 'Moskvitch' range of cars.

image.thumb.png.a25d0efa3070a264407e8b62dddfb352.png

And what they were making down the corridor - a 1954 Moskvitch 401.

image.png.1bca3a0e81341fab0f70282135cd1f99.png

A little later, Soviet traffic policeman, Karelian ASSR, sometime in the '70's. On the look out for ropey Moskvitch 401's.