Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

5 minutes ago, Bfg said:

Just to help you recall the great times we had, at places like Duxford., 

.              ...and indeed can look forward to again - Here's a picturesque reminder . . .

5de04f40b6366_Museum.thumb.jpg.d1c6c56b038b7389968bc93d1569b71d.jpg

..almost black and white

That looks like a modern reproduction of the original air and space exhibition, held at the Tustin Airship Hanger, Tustin, California in 1942   -

image.png.3fec0987a1911c663f8a6f5febee1f32.png

2 hours ago, Remspoor said:

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/c3/aa/f8/c3aaf8009cd52c82f7ecf4502364435a.jpg

I wondered what on earth that was, looks like a Standard Atlas with a Scammell badge.  A bit of googling led me to this page:

Scammell Scarab Four

Basically it's the front end of a Standard Atlas and the back end of a Scammell Scarab!  It did make production, but not many were sold.

19 minutes ago, adw1977 said:

I wondered what on earth that was, looks like a Standard Atlas with a Scammell badge.  A bit of googling led me to this page:

Scammell Scarab Four

Basically it's the front end of a Standard Atlas and the back end of a Scammell Scarab!  It did make production, but not many were sold.

I'm not surprised! As I understand it, the so-called "Atlas" van was woefully under-powered and too low-geared, thus reducing it to low-speed urban deliveries. I think it had a 950cc engine, which wasn't really up to the job!

12 minutes ago, Andrew353w said:

I'm not surprised! As I understand it, the so-called "Atlas" van was woefully under-powered and too low-geared, thus reducing it to low-speed urban deliveries. I think it had a 950cc engine, which wasn't really up to the job!

Why were British vans so cr*p when the Italians, for example, were hooning around in these?

image.png.85c39070141a58283d90ec07fb7a4a9f.pngimage.png.ac8a86c8363d65f716bacbbbc88279fc.png  

image.png

image.png

Steam fire engines in that there Noo Yoik. No35 seems to be completely steam powered; No58, the one with the bonnet, looks like it has a petrol (or should that be gas?) engine and uses the steam for the pumps. And is the other horse drawn? I guess these were kept under steam at all times otherwise the fire would be out before they could get there/pump the water.

image.png.c779ab739c5c2c99c25f3a654f158aa4.pngimage.png.c2c7131c14073b156c43cf45a29d7ac7.pngimage.thumb.png.0013d0e0f926497bacfac9d3e98424bf.png

5 minutes ago, martc said:

Steam fire engines in that there Noo Yoik. No35 seems to be completely steam powered; No58, the one with the bonnet, looks like it has a petrol (or should that be gas?) engine and uses the steam for the pumps. And is the other horse drawn? I guess these were kept under steam at all times otherwise the fire would be out before they could get there/pump the water.

We have a 1908 Merryweather Gem that served at Beeston (Notts) until the early 30s (I think - we have a summary of the station logs somewhere) - towards the end of its time in service it was hauled by a petrol lorry instead of horses and it was not uncommon for the carriage to be scrapped and the boiler  and pump mounted on something else. The Merryweather boiler (and the Shand boiler they ripped off) had very little water and a very, very large heating area. Ours is a C Boiler which had 136 copper tubes. Steam could be raised from stone cold in 11 minutes but when in service they were kept warm with a parafin heater which meant they could go from nowt to 120psi in less than five minutes. They hung on in service because they were simple devices that were pretty reliable and could shift some sizeable amounts of water withoutoverheating or theignition giving up the ghost. Our one is claimed to have run for four days continuously when they managed to set fire to the Chilwell works at the end of WW1.  Our Gem is good for 400gpm while the three cylinder monsters were capable of 1000gpm. Yelp. 

In those days extendable ladders were neither common nor very long so they were sized on what size of jet they could project. Our Gen could do 1 1/8" jet 169 feet high. When we ran ours we had a few firemen caught out by the difficulty of hanging onto such a big jet. One of my favourites was a big lad who reckoned it was easy. His last words before him and a lot of people around got very wet were "I can hold onto ten bar. Just open it up"

Some poor quality black and whites of the old girl in service. This is it newly arrived in front of the new station. To give some idea of what these things cost that station was built for only £30 more than the engine cost to buy.

50806802866_d2dfc35a98_o.jpg

Dealing with flooding.

50806915467_5bcfba363a_o.jpg

And a bit later with the new petrol appliance. By now the logs refer to it as "the old engine" or "old old coffee pot". The lad on the left's tache would soon become very unfashionable.

50806802826_cb02f23fdb_o.jpg

And a colour one of it when we ran it in the early 90s. It's only ticking over here hence the rather pathetic dribble coming out the spout. Weegie types may recognise the location.

50806804571_f795418670_o.jpg

10 minutes ago, JimH said:

To give some idea of what these things cost that station was built for only £30 more than the engine cost to buy.

And a bit later with the new petrol appliance. By now the logs refer to it as "the old engine" or "old old coffee pot". The lad on the left's tache would soon become very unfashionable.

50806802826_cb02f23fdb_o.jpg

The fella in the uniform (left of Ollie Hardy) has a similar affliction, and the look of a certain small Austrian in full dress uniform.

A quick google shows that a new engine tody would cost approx £350,000 - £500,000 each. I don't think that would be far behind some jerry built corrugated sheeting, curved roofed and exposed girder confection that they throw up nowadays as an excuse for a building