Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

Another 1945 Berlin shot. The tank is British from WWI - a MkV I think - one of two kept in Berlin as a museum trophy in 1918 and then used briefly in the defence of Berlin in 1945*.

*easy to see how conspiracy theories and urban myths can evolve when the full understanding of  the context of a photo is not know. A WWI tank in a ruined Berlin - seemingly impossible.

Bottom shot is probably the other.

20201113_123537.jpg

20201113_124639.jpg

1 minute ago, lesapandre said:

Wonder where the Austin Princess was off to. A funeral or pick Dylan up?

20201113_125536.jpg

Don't know, but it's leaving Cardiff quickly. Fifteen years previously Cardiff stopped at the bottom of the hill and the hill was in Monmouthshire which at the time was in England by some reckoning.

2 minutes ago, artdjones said:

Don't know, but it's leaving Cardiff quickly. Fifteen years previously Cardiff stopped at the bottom of the hill and the hill was in Monmouthshire which at the time was in England by some reckoning.

It is bizarrely possible.  Shot was taken by Barry Feinstein on May 11, 1966 in the middle of Dylan’s World Tour. The previous night he had performed at the Colston Hall in Bristol, where he had been booed by those who did not appreciate his move from an acoustic to electric sound. He is waiting for the Aust – Beachley  ferry to take him across the Severn estuary to Wales where he was booked to perform at the Capitol Theatre in Cardiff that night! They had to take the ferry as the Severn Bridge had not been finished then. You can just make out it’s unfinished form in the background. 

2074187693_Western-Mail-and-Echo-Ltd(1).jpg.4f078c2c6b626ef9929c666f5ba136bb.jpg

This fellow got in the papers in 1967 for converting his front room into a garage for the Minivan with the flash mudflaps you see parked outside. I lived a few hundred yards away and regularly passed by on the way to my local rec.

Someone has had the sense to return the garage to living accommodation, but the house still looks spoiled.

Screenshot_2020-11-13-13-08-02-698_com.google.android_apps_maps.thumb.jpg.ad058d6b420ed7488c30b9e4426751dd.jpg

JS150468347.jpg.7b1c812e43a5ea512aaf40d2556dbbca.jpg

Cardiff's Mayoral car, KG1. It spent many years in an underground car park at County Hall out of use, just being taken out for the MoT once a year. It may now be on display at Beaulieu? If you look closely it has the usual Spirit of Ecstasy replaced with a dragon. The dragon had a red tongue, the only spot of colour on the car.

8 minutes ago, DSdriver said:

Is it because modern cars are much wider or have roads got narrower. Or is it because they now have cars parked all along both kerbs that you lose the perspective?

Cars are now wider! My Daf 33 shoots through width restrictions around my town which I crawl through in my Subaru. I am also of the opinion that driving standard are not what they used to be, but that's a whole new discussion....

8 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Routemaster style bus is considerably narrower than a modern one - and IMHO so much nicer to ride in

The bus above is an AEC Regent which is 7'6"" wide. It's far closer related to the RT, the predecessor to the Routemaster which was 8' wide. The new Routemaster is 8' 3 1/4" wide.

As for ride quality, I'd take a modern bus with air suspension over the one above with its cart springs. Routemasters were though a massive improvement over the Regent as they had coil springs.

8 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

The bus above is an AEC Regent which is 7'6"" wide. It's far closer related to the RT, the predecessor to the Routemaster which was 8' wide. The new Routemaster is 8' 3 1/4" wide.

As for ride quality, I'd take a modern bus with air suspension over the one above with its cart springs. Routemasters were though a massive improvement over the Regent as they had coil springs.

Modern buses rattle so much.