Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

1 hour ago, martc said:

I wouldn't be too smug about Ford, there's three Fords in that photo, all made in the same decade. Production of two of them, the Pop and the Anglia, overlapped each other by 3 years (and 2 decades of development).

I wasn't being smug ?.

Also the 103e Popular shown in that pic' was discontinued in 1959 (the year the 105e Anglia was introduced), the Popular at that point became the 100e variant (that was previously an Anglia)..

My point was that by the end of the '60's & even into the 1970's BMC were producing the Farina's which looked very dated. Yes those sidevalve Fords (including the 100e) were also out of date but there is a big difference between 1950's & late 1960's motoring.

4 hours ago, martc said:

I wouldn't be too smug about Ford, there's three Fords in that photo, all made in the same decade. Production of two of them, the Pop and the Anglia, overlapped each other by 3 years (and 2 decades of development).

The thing about the Fords - notwithstanding their merits is that they sold well and made decent profits given their overheads. BMC got both of these right but not really at the same time.

That was bad management. Everything flowed from that. Ford researched their markets - BMC took a punt. But in the end they were too small to compete sensibly against Ford and GM.

On 9/4/2020 at 6:12 PM, JeeExEll said:

tg7jcJ4.jpg

Looks like the village I grew up in. Say that was the late 60's everyone drove a cheapish second hand car and cars aged much faster.

The Humbers were guzzly and lumbering old busses that were so out of date they had lost their posh appeal and now only appealed to big families wanting a cheap people carrier; the Wolseley 4/44 was a fusty old anachronism that rusted pretty badly and were bangers by then. And the Mini might be 7 years old with terminal subframe rot. Ah nostalgia.

On 9/3/2020 at 10:45 PM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Is this lot out of Bulgaria? I'm trying to think of other Soviet-era states that might have let their departments experiment with capitalist cars

The Renner 20 is possibly a Romanian Dacia copy. Dacia 2000 I think it was called and not violating flexible Marxist principles. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

The signal heads were cast-iron and weighed a fuckton. I effectively ruined my back once lifting one into the car.

do you have a collection of traffic signals/lights? if so it would be neat to see a few examples? :)

I noticed you seem to know a lot about them!, have always wanted a traffic light myself, but I have never deeply looked into them (although know a little bit about them because well lightbulbs!) but I do find it interesting when someone posts about them

(a few collectors on the lighting forums have some, but most are in the US, I dont know many UK collectors with traffic lights sadly)

24 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

do you have a collection of traffic signals/lights? if so it would be neat to see a few examples? :)

I noticed you seem to know a lot about them!, have always wanted a traffic light myself, but I have never deeply looked into them (although know a little bit about them because well lightbulbs!) but I do find it interesting when someone posts about them

(a few collectors on the lighting forums have some, but most are in the US, I dont know many UK collectors with traffic lights sadly)

I used to have a small collection, having bought them when they were cheap. I had two SGEs (3-aspect and 2-aspect, at a time when they were just 50 quid each),

108931-1-medium.jpg?v=63685736249747

and their similarly-styled plastic German equivalent by Signalbau Huber. Don't have them anymore.

SGEs and their much-lighter contemporary rivals, the ATE "tin lanterns",

bhaDZRrsQMSE3TRSWWSnJCyqwCIN9Ilvp4k9OrFJ

both of which were a fixture in every urban landscape, are now very much sought-after by transport collectors and you'll be lucky to find a single head for under £250 a go. The ones that come up on eBay now are usually subject to crazy bidding wars, so I can forget ever having another one. The really rare ones are the pedestrian heads, with their unique "WAIT" and "CROSS" / "CROSS NOW" lenses, or very early red man/green man pictogram lenses:

TinLanternPedestrianSignal.jpg

What I do have now are a pair of more modern Peek Elite heads (a more compact modular design introduced in 1997 to replace the older, clumsier Mellor heads), plus a small Euro repeater (100mm lenses)

o32.JPG