Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

On 1/19/2020 at 3:52 AM, Austat said:

1680755919_Scan44.thumb.jpeg.7fe0272d482307b241d138cfe1aabb3a.jpeg  688131337_Scan45.thumb.jpeg.33ddc72194be5c58c894d4771e645927.jpeg

Bold BL concept illustrations by Mark Stehrenberger. Would of been quite modern for the times, if only.

BLMC were all over the place in how to rationalise their range - with all the competing brands - MG vs Triumph, Rover vs Jaguar and where to fit Riley and Wolseley etc. In Australia where the ad is from with typical antipodean bluntness they dispensed with all the pommie nonsense and ditched the legacy names in favour of LEYLAND.

The coupe there looks very similar to the late 60's Rover P9 which was almost ready for production (possibly as an Alvis), but got the chop in favour of the XJS by the BLMC board after merger.

What a beauty. Sad all that experience and expensive development was binned.

The Jaguar's heavy Italian influence  reminds me of the styling of the smaller Lancia Beta which came a bit later. I think initially BLMC had some discussion with the Italian design houses for its cars - but to save costs opted for in house instead.

Given the problems with the UK operations Leyland in Australia did attempt to set off in their own direction which resulted in the big Leyland P76 saloon. But mounting losses put paid to this Austrian operation shortly after.

20200125_132350.jpg

20200125_135512.jpg

Leyland P76 - owners discussing whether to push it into the lake and try to claim the insurance.

Neat bit of design though - and shamelessly copied by Datsun for their larger cars - that could easily be 240K or Cedric.

20200125_140942.jpg

VW works main gate. 1973. New fwd unregistered cars on right. This is just at the period during which they went fwd. VW Beetle still going but not for long in Germany at least.

I'm not knowledgeable on VW stuff so I have no idea what the cars on the right are...prototypes?

Must have been seen as a gamble within VW to make this fundamental change.

BLMC bottled it - really VW went the whole hog pretty fast when they finally decided? No rwd halfway stages.

God knows what they thought of BLMC and the Marina. Wonder if they ever had one to evaluate?

20200126_133649.jpg

5 hours ago, lesapandre said:

VW works main gate. 1973. New fwd unregistered cars on right. This is just at the period during which they went fwd. VW Beetle still going but not for long in Germany at least.

I'm not knowledgeable on VW stuff so I have no idea what the cars on the right are...prototypes?...

Difficult to see, but the back end looks like either the Mk.1 Polo / Audi 50 or possibly the Audi 80

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Difficult to see, but the back end looks like either the Mk.1 Polo / Audi 50 or possibly the Audi 80

Possibly Audi 80 for the nearest one. Would have just been at the start of production.  Wonder if those were random cars off the line about to be road tested or something. Or maybe local delivery.

When the MOT came in during the early 1960s a lot of old cars were simply dumped at the side of the road as they would have needed too much work to get through the test.

Same when petrol prices went up in the 1970s & big old cars without enough prestige were suddenly practically worthless.