Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

The Invacar looks like it is in the other shot too - presumably two ends of the same street....

That Singer is, what, 20 years or so older than the date of the pic?   Compare that to say a sad face Fiesta in today's traffic - definitely seems more visual progress took place back then.   Also the Singer is not lop-sided and knackered like that nearly-new Cortina!

How ancient does that Singer Hunter in the first pic look?

Well identified.  I was familiar with the Singer SM1500 which had a completely different grill, but was not aware of the more traditional Singer grill treatment on later models.  All variants were a rare sight when new and I have never seen a restored or preserved one in the flesh.

So this piece of shit E-Type survived the 73/4 OPEC Oil Crisis, even though it looks as if it would collapse if you tried to move it and would have been worth about £30.post-17414-0-61919900-1554580506_thumb.png

Fast forward to 1997 and its ' First registered' as a 1962 roadster in BRG. Before they were valuable enough to be worth a restoring basket cases, but about when a lot of US cars came home.

It now looks like this and is probably worth upwards of £150k

post-17414-0-08276400-1554580671_thumb.png

The cynical amongst you might hear a ringing sound...

So this piece of shit E-Type survived the 73/4 OPEC Oil Crisis, even though it looks as if it would collapse if you tried to move it and would have been worth about £30.attachicon.gifimage.png

...im wondering WTF are them box type additions on the rear valance are; an example of early 'barrying' with filler/glassfibre/ papermache ...??

...im wondering WTF are them box type additions on the rear valance are; an example of early 'barrying' with filler/glassfibre/ papermache ...??

I think you're right as to fibreglass / mesh repair stuff. It looks as if the rear valance has rotted away and the owner couldn't afford a replacement.post-17414-0-24378400-1554624337_thumb.jpeg

The only pic I could find of a naked arsed E -Tupe , it's a V12 but the shape looks very similar.

The bumper looks to high and close to the lights too, maybe it was just attached to the first solid bit of steel they could find.

So this piece of shit E-Type survived the 73/4 OPEC Oil Crisis, even though it looks as if it would collapse if you tried to move it and would have been worth about £30. image.png

Fast forward to 1997 and its ' First registered' as a 1962 roadster in BRG. Before they were valuable enough to be worth a restoring basket cases, but about when a lot of US cars came home.

It now looks like this and is probably worth upwards of £150k

image.png

The cynical amongst you might hear a ringing sound...

That might be true,but several companies were restoring basket cases a long time before 1997.Panels were available for rebuilding a shell from almost nothing.I seem to remember one firm were making virtually new shells.

post-4721-0-06903700-1554676452_thumb.jpg

I can only assume young Daltrey got a good deal on his tour van. This is what they should all look like.

In fact, looking at it again, that Commer couldn't have been even a decade old at the time...

Edit: Apparently the photo was taken on 13th November 1965. That would make the van nearly new...

• 2 weeks later...