Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

First one is probably Blackpool, as Duggie Chapman's Music Hall Tavern was in that building. Also the bus destination blind reads "Cleveleys"

Second and third one probably Manchester, as MetroVic and Beyer Peacock in particular had their works there. I can just about make out from the banner that the diesel locomotive on the low-loader was built for the Western Australian Government Railway (WAGR) to run on the 3ft 6in gauge.

Absolutely. The first one is a Blackpool Corporation Marshall bodied AEC Swift being dragged down what looks like Talbot Road in the early 70's by their Diamond T wrecker. Somewhere, I've a pic of that machine and fucked AEC Swift's were a common site in those days. One operator suffered a number of engine failures until it was discovered somebody had fitted the wrong length dip stick.

Sleuthing the pic of the cars with airbags  both have EOP registrations which is Essex I think. They look like a pair - both Austin 10 or 12's - manufactured up to 1939 I think. They look official as the running boards are marked with black-out markings for the rear doors to guide passengers which line up with markings on the pavement. Were they taxis or 'official cars' - I don't think they were private cars. I was looking at the background - nothing shows where - a tram expert might know from the type. Could be Chelmsford or Ipswich - but something about the architecture makes me think northern England maybe. Perhaps Remspoor can confirm.

Its Suffolk Street in Birmingham - with the Austins with the airbags. This is 1962 same place. Its near New Street railway station so maybe they were taxis? All demolished in the 1960's. The big building in the background is the Birmingham Technical College. It was designed by Essex, Nicol & Goodman & built in 1893.

post-20142-0-35169100-1548964389_thumb.jpg

Children powered Invacar!

It's an Allard Clipper.   Unbelievably, almost, it was designed to be bought by people who actually had a choice over what they could drive!

Wonder if that was an incomplete prototype - looks like its propped up by a box of some kind for a publicity shot.

That all makes sense then thanks. If they were taxis I would have felt they would have been older bigger cars - so I am guessing some official use. They were not far from Longbridge - which by that time was on a war footing. You can see the masked headlamp for driving in the blackout and the white painted front bumper. Birmingham was the centre of the armaments industry - and some of that new factory infrastructure was used post-war by car manufacturers. 

Fascinating photograph giving a snapshot of a place and time. Possibly some sort of official or newspaper  photograph as the photographers vantage point is elevated, they must have been standing on another car or steps, and the photo quite composed so its a professional job. Picture Post was the big photo journal of that era - might have been for that perhaps

Here is the location on a map showing the original street. The big Technical School is marked - survived the war and demolished in the 60's. The whole area gone to make way for the inner ring road and rebuilding of Birmingham city centre.

Pics show then and now.

post-20142-0-96998200-1548977519_thumb.jpg

post-20142-0-12002000-1548978782_thumb.jpg

EOP preceding numbers registration marks were issued in Birmingham between January 1939 and February 1939.

(EOO was Essex)

Thanks martc -  I would never* of thought of using a search engine...

rude answer could be https://lmgtfy.com/

The image come from a website not about cars.