bought a cheap italian mountain goat.

dave21478

The next project beckons.

Its an early 80`s Panda 4x4. These things have genuinely surprising off-road ability. Its front wheel drive on road, and shoving down a lever by the handbrake engages a dog box bolted to the back of the gearbox which has an extra pinion from the front diff to send power to the rear axle. Mac struts up front and a live axle on coils at the back.

Some assembly required. Engine, box and front suspension are all out and most of the engine bay wiring is out.

I was led to believe by my brother in law that this shell was completely rot free - we were aiming for zero welding for once, just aesthetics and mechanics to sort out. 

Well, it is completely rot free apart from the holes in the bottoms of each door skin, the holes in the front valance and the holes around the windscreen. 

Its not properly serious grot, but it will need taken care of properly as this is supposed to be a "minter" when finished as they are only going up in value and tidy ones selling for surprisingly high amounts.

No collection thread, I am afraid, just some pics of it at the farm.

You can see my disgraced C2 lurking in the background too.

post-17837-0-09498900-1401464378_thumb.jpg

post-17837-0-19157500-1401464384_thumb.jpg

post-17837-0-11889000-1401464390_thumb.jpg

post-17837-0-00989200-1401464397_thumb.jpg

I think my dad's was B380 OUT. Bloody awful thing, but I hope yours turns out well. Can't think of the last time I saw any Panda in the flesh so to speak.

I liked my 4x4 Panda and my dog particularly liked the rear seat/hammock, it was a good dual purpose car when I lived in the middle of nowhere and had a mile of unmade track to cross to get in and out everyday. Unfortunately the bodywork was getting quite crumbly so I did the sensible* thing and swapped it for a 178,000 mile Mk2 Polo and a Series 1 Land Rover.

Nice one. Don't forget to keep us posted with the progress

I will admit to knowing the square root of fuck all about Fiats. However, I do know the drivetrain was supplied by Steyr Puch. And I quite like them.

So, that's todays useless fact.

More tomorrow!